We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoe shopping in Italy

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Shoe shopping in Italy

My daughter and I love shoes and each want to buy a designer pair as a souviner of Italy. We will be on ship stopping in Rome, Florence, Naples, Venice..which of these cities would give us the best price or do the designers have fixed prices? Thanks!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

Hi --

Before you go, try on some shoes made in Italy to make sure that you can get a good fit, and to know your proper size. If you have big feet like mine - 41 or 42, don't waste your time looking for them in Italy. There are so few of them to be found that Ferragamo suggested that I simply have some made. You'll have a much easier time in London, or at Nordstrom's.

The problem with shoes is the toe length. You have to have a toe length that matches the manufacturer's, or the ball of your foot won't hit the ball of the shoe properly, and not only will the shoe not fit, but it won't wear well either.

If you're talking about a high heeled shoe, the shank will work loose very quickly, and squeak, and then the heel will break off. And now you know why ladies often buy their shoes from only one manufacturer. It's because that manufacturer's last matches their foot.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

Thanks for your reply. I buy designer shoes here and yes you are right some fit better than others. So I will stick to the brands that I like. I went to Venice 3 years ago and bought a pair of shoes which I love and have good memories everytime I wear them. Since we only went to Venice that is why I am questioning if prices are better in Rome for instance.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

My daughter loves shoes. The best place we have been for shoes was actually Sorrento. I think I can say that I have been to every shoe store in Sorrento and there are a lot of them. Those 250 euro shoes were OUT!

in 2007 I let her buy 3 pairs max 50 euros each. We were are stores every night ( shopping in Sorrento til 9 pm) 5-6 days before she even bought a single pair.

I have been to Rome twice with her and although we stopped at shoe stores she tells me that the Sorrento ones were better.

Here was one on Via Lungaretta near Santa Maria in Trastevere

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

she did get some great boots in Florence though.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

I think I have heard of a leather factory in Florence??

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

What I want is a pair of Christian Louboutins...expensive but I will wear them for a very long time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

My daughter and I also love shoes.....

We were in Italy together, last Summer and were lucky enough to be in Rome for the sales.. I bought a stunning pair of Fendi shoes on sale for 200 Euro..... Absolutely beautifully made, and like you say, every time I wear them, it reminds me of our time there. Not to mention I have also received so many compliments.. I rarely have the opportunity to buy designer on sale here in Sydney....

I must say Milano has fantastic shopping also..... Enjoy!

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

If that is the only thing I buy I will be very happy. You did get a good deal on the Fendi's. We have such a limited selection of designer brands so it will be fun to have more choices.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

Oh you will have fun, even more so if there in sale time.....

I hope you find that 'special' pair... I'm going back in August.. I will be doing the same thing.... Maybe Gucci this time, LOLL.... Enjoy:-))

9. Re: Shoe shopping in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 12:40