We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

I was just wondering about this small budget airline and wondering what its record is- on time, safety etc... It seems like a good way to quickly from Paris to Venice. Are there any other ones recommended and how do I book it?

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

Yes they are good! Just go on to their website..

www.ryanair.com

follow the instructions and they will show you various flights and the prices. Flying one day later might save you 40-50 euro. New Planes...you just can't take lots of luggage! One bag in the luggage compartment and one hand carry.

There is also EasyJet.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

I won't say that they are as good as real airlines... they have NO service, very rude staff and you have to pay for each kilo overwheigt (Ryanair only allows you 15 kilos). They don't put a second sticker on your checked luggage, so probability to loose it is higher. Do not go to the toilet, there's most of the time no water, because refilling costs money...

I would not say that they are unsafe... but they spend less money... and maybe even for safety.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

It is a drawback with Ryanair that they do not fly into Venice Marco Polo airport but instead into the small Treviso Sant'Angelo airport. There is a coach connecting Treviso airport with Piazzale Roma at the end of the causeway over the lagoon into Venice

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

I have not had the problems that the other posters have with Ryan Air...

For 19 Euro ROUNDTRIP Rome to PARIS...I could care less if there is no service.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

Of course Ryanair are safe- no accidents since they started; and they ain't small- they've about overtaken British Airways in terms of their European operation. I've flown them 30 or 40 times and their punctuality is great- only one delay, for about 2 hours.

But the real deal is that they are incredibly cheap- so you can do European flights for a few pennies plus tax for midweek, advance-booked flights.

We typically pay 30-50GBP (45-60 Euros or dollars) including tax for a return from London Stansted to any of their Italian destinations. They even do regular 'Free seats plus tax' promos. But they are 'market sensitive' so you can pay 300GBP for a late prime time booking if you don't plan ahead

No frills means you pay for drinks and sandwiches- or take your own. So log on to ryanair.com and pay by credit card.

Ciao

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

There're some passenger comments about Ryanair:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

WOW! Makes me scared to try them- the passenger comments were horrible- i could care less about their attitudes-just don't cancel my flight and don't try and rip me off- sounds like the luggage weight is a major issue. I guess I should rethink this- it sounded like a cheap, fast way to get from Paris to Romeor anywhere else they fly!!

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

Don't listen to what many people say about Ryanair especially the one about spending less money!!!!! They are one of the few airlines who since 9/11 have actually continued to have a positive balance. They are contunually upgrading and buying new aircraft and safety standards are very high. Not one incident since they started.

As for staff being rude, I've never had this but try Alitalia and you'll get a right stuck up bunch of little madams!!!

O.K.No frills and no drinks, food etc unless you purchase them on board and they are expensive but not even necessary for such short hops.

Luggage limit is a bit tight because you can have 15 kgs of checked baggage (1 kilo over and you pay) plus you can take 10 kgs of cabin baggage.

They fly to smaller regional airports inorder to keep the cost down and in the end give their low fares. Not everyseat on every aircraft is lowcost and many people pay as much as they do for a schedule service. It's all in how soon you book or special offers they may have at one particular time.

The fleet of aircraft is made up of 737 800 series which are the latest models of this particular aircraft and for the short routes they operate, they are fine.

Other low cost carriers such as Easy Jet etc often but Ryanairs old planes so make up your own mind which one is better!!!

I think lots of people who use the low cost are people who still want the service one gets (or should get) from the larger carriers.

Also many are not seasoned travellers and so use Ryanair because they are cheap and go along expecting more than they are paying for.

I love my comforts and safety is a big issue when I select any airline I quite happily use Ryanair on a regular basis and have never had problems.

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

Oops sorry, meant to say that other low cost carrieres such as Easyjet often BUY Ryanairs old planes not but them !!!!!

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryan Air-budget airlines-are they safe?

I have flown with Ryanair many times. Safety is not an issue. Their fleet is relatively new compared with other airlines. Also they arent small. They are one of the few airlines increasing passenger numbers and routes at this time. I have been delayed a couple of times with them but have always got to my destination (I've had plenty of delays with major airlines like British Airways and BMI as well). However I have heard horror stories about flights being cancelled and staff doing nothing to help, although these do seem to be very rare occurrences. There is service on board, its just not free. But I dont think anyone would die of starvation on a flight from Paris to Venice or any other Ryanair flights as all their flights are relatively short. The main problem with Ryanair is they fly to smaller airports near cities rather than the main one. In Venice they fly to Treviso which is about 20 miles away. There is though normally a shuttle bus to take you into town which you pay a few Euros for. The extra hassle and time involved in this is the price you pay for the low price