We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

My husband and i are going to Rome in one week to visit friends who were recently married (both are Italian, the groom is a friend from grad school). We've tortured ourselves for ideas, but we are totally stuck. Both members of the couple in question are in their mid-40's, conservative, from old Roman families, and particular in their tastes (don't really know how, just know...). Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

- Miranda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

I have a friend who always gives a bottle of exceptionally good vintage Champagne. It is certainly lovely to receive.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

Why don't you give something from where you are from. As an Italian we typically give cash as a wedding gift. But whenever we have gone back to Italy for a wedding we have brought a gift that is from Canada (where we live) such as a carving or a print of some sort.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

There’s usually a bridal registry, a “lista nozze” (ask family members) and wedding gifts are expensive.

Many give gifts of money, and a new trend even involves a registry with the couple’s travel agency, so guests could contribute money towards the honeymoon.

Italians are particular in their wines – If you give wine, chose a good producer and vintage, and champagne would not be especially appreciated.

vagabonda--wedding gift question:

tripadvisor.com/…13854535

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

Style, taste and quality are of paramount importance – A gift from your area would be appreciated for the thoughtfulness, but be careful of large knick-knack things that may not be to your relative’s tastes.

Vagabonda

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

I beg to differ with both millin and Vagabonda.

The last thing I can imagine that conservative and particular Italians from old Roman families would want is a piece of Americana or Canadiana.

Italians are particular about their wines, yes, but I hardly see that educated Italians would disdain or be offended by a bottle of vintage Champagne. They would see it for what it is: a celebratory offering.

One, moreover, that would not take up space or lie around unused. Trimani on via Goito probably has the largest selection of French Champagne in Rome.

The lista nozze is a possibility, but if they're both mid-40's, they might well not have one.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

We would always appreciate a relative or friend's thoughtfulness in bringing a gift representative from their home – Would it be the best gift? No. Generally, money is given.

We would not really appreciate Champagne as a wedding gift.

Vagabonda

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

Vagabonda, We are not talking about a wedding gift, as a gift brought to a wedding. The wedding is over; the OP is probably going to visit the couple in their home, which, in Rome, is far more likely than not to be an apartment. Are they more likely to appreciate some object that they have to find space for? I think not.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

Zerlina, what’s the problem here? I said that the thoughtfulness would be appreciated, but *gently* suggested that large knick-knack things not to taste may not be appreciated.

They are not more likely to appreciate some object that they have to find space for, nor are they more likely to appreciate Champagne – We give money or check registries so that gifts are appropriate and to taste.

Vagabonda

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

I think you're missing the point. The wedding is over; it's taken place. If the couple has or had a lista nozze, it would evidently be the best solution. I'm just not sure how many people who marry in their mid-40's have them. The OP could try to find out from relatives.

On the other hand, I think an educated Italian who attended grad school in the US would be mortally offended if a friend visiting from the US handed him money or a check.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,460 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Appropriate Italian wedding gift?

Zerlina – I have not missed the point. I understand that the wedding has already taken place, but it is still a gift for a wedding.

No one would be *offended* by a bottle of champagne, but it’s just not what we would do, and we would always appreciate the thoughtfulness. And since we give money, no one would be mortally offended by a gift in an envelope. It’s what we do. Traditionally, the bride in an Italian wedding travels from guest to guest while carrying a satin purse (bursa). The purpose of the purse is to store monetary gifts.

Vagabonda