We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shifty - Car hire in Italy

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Shifty - Car hire in Italy

I love Italy and I really don't want to write negative things about it, but I thought anyone hiring a car there needs to be aware of a not uncommon problem we came across below.

We hired a car from Rome airport in October last year, and 9 months later the same company charged our credit card for a further £95. I contacted the car hire desk in Rome airport and they confirmed that there should not have been any further charges. So the additional charge made by this company was fraudulent. I have been forced to cancel my credit card and take the matter up with my credit card company to get the money back. I still don't know whether I will get the money back.

BE AWARE that all car hire companies in Italy require you to leave a photocopy of your credit card when you hire, you cannot hire a car unless you allow them to do this. This means they keep your details on file and can use your details at a later date as they see fit. It also unfortunately means that your details can be used without your permission.

So my advice is to use a separate credit card with a limited balance, keep your car hire details for at least a year afterwards and check your credit card statements for unauthorised payments. I have also been taking photographs of the car and the mileage/fuel tank level with my mobile when we hand the car back so there can be no later dispute about charges on the car.

We have hired cars in Italy for the last two years at least 8 times a year and this is the first time it has happened, but I know from others that this is not an isolated incident. So just keep an eye on them and buon viaggio!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shifty - Car hire in Italy

Sympathies- but to reassure would-be renters; we've used Hertz 40 or 50 times, mainly in Italy, and almost never had additional charges as we pre-pay and get a good deal with basic insurance included. In fact, sign up for their free #1 gold service and you get express service! There's no credit card nonsense, and the only time we were charged a fuelling charge we rang up and got it reversed by their excellent UK call centre which is in Dublin, so you get good craic (translation 'you can have a good chat with the staff'), which was a little bit cheeky, as I did return the car with rather less than a full tank.

And although Hertz may not be the cheapest, they are ood value, almost always upgrade you (we book the cheapest cars) and have all sorts of discount possibilities for registered users- such a s a discount for Mastercard. And anyone can secure the Ryanair cheap hire rate by going in via the cheap car hire link on ryanair.com, at the ten or more Ryanair destinations, whether or not you fly with them. And as a final bit of good customer - I felt that I paid a bit much for a recent pre-booking which I'd done in a hurry, rang Dublin, and got a reduction as they always aim to give good price! And before you ask, no I don't have shares in the company.

2. Re: Shifty - Car hire in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 06:31