We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Woman

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Woman

Needing a big breather from the rat race...thinking of taking a little jaunt to Italy.

I'll be traveling alone. Wondering what/where/how would be the best way to do this in an effort to maximize time and money( I don't have loads of either). There are several sites dedicated to single travelers, though I'm not one who tends to dig traveling around in big groups. I'm a city girl, so negotiating situations home and abroad haven't been a problem.

Just wondering where I should go/stay in order to get the best bang for my buck. I'd probably go sometime between next month and October. Sept or Oct most likely actually.

Thanks for any insight/guidance!

Lula

Berkshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Woman

Hi

You need somewhere busy with people around you but also be staying at an hotel which offers peace and quiet when you need it. If you dispel the cliche that Venice is romantic then this is a great city for walking around and on your own no problem. Lots of lovely churches to enter, lots of piazzas and little restaurants in all tucked away places and take a vaparetto over to the train station steps and have a day out in Verona after an hours ride. Or there are the islands but not that much going on with them but Verona or Padua would be great days out. Recommend A La Commedia hotel near Rialto.

You would also like Florence, busy and bustling with great shopping. Lots of walking and stopping for lunch and then some more. Have a look at the Mona Lisa Hotel. Villa type of hotel with old paintings etc. or the De la Ville on the designer shopping area.

What about the Amalfi Coast. Just beautiful and Pompeii to visit.

Every area is lovely so depends on your own tastes but good luck in your search.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Woman

It would be helpful if you could tell us a little more about what you're interested in and looking for. Renaissance Art? Ancient history? A big city or a quaint small town? Do you want to somewhere by the sea, or does that not matter?

Is there a certain region of Italy you are especially interested in?

You might also let us know about your budget - like, what's the maximum you'd want to pay per night for accommodations?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Woman

I have gone to Rome and been alone for several days before my daughter arrived. I walked all over, enjoyed ancient sights, ate at restaurants, rode public transport and had a great time. I'd recommend Rome for a soslo traveler.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,663 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Woman

I have been to Italy on my own several times.

My favorite place is Venice but how many cities you visit will depend on how much time you take for your vacation.

I enjoy staying in one place for a while instead of running to many of them in one trip but everyone is different.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Woman

Hi all-

Thanks for the replies-very helpful.

Re what I'm looking for...good question. I'm a heat monger-addicted to the sun and unhealthy tan skin, so warmer(beachy-y?) parts of the country would be great. I did wonder about Amalfi...

That said, I also dig LOTS of walking and exploring, so access to historical areas would be great as well. Love sitting outside at a spot with a drink and a book/journal and watching people. I'm a Brooklyn girl living in DC, so it's what I dig-watching the people go by.

Residing in a city while I have access to small towns(for example...staying in London, yet being able to go see Bath)would be great.

JJKDC-good question re budget. Is it possible to get a (decent, clean, good locale) room for under $100? Oh-thinking(hoping!) to stay for 5-7 days.

More thoughts? Again all-your replies are very appreciated!

Lula

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Woman

Ischia has great beaches. There are great thermal parks with water heated by the volcano under the island. there is good bus transport all over the island. There is great shopping and restaurants in ischia Ponte but you can take the bus to the Sant' Angelo area which is like the countryside with the famous Maronti beach. The beach sands and the water is heated year round by the volcano. Crime is low. it is completely safe for a woman alone. my daughter and I were there for 3 days.

Beach in Ischia Ponte in the evening

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

google map with sights

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

This map shows all the beach areas as red dots on the shore linked by a red line

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Woman

Yeah, it sounds like a spot in lovely Campania would suit you. Ischia would no doubt be a good choice - if you do some googling you can find their tourist info website, through which you can order a very interesting tourist info package (as I recall, it doesn't cost anything). I haven't been there yet, but I'm returning to my beloved Napoli soon and I intend to make a day trip there.

Another island possibility is Procida - much smaller and doesn't have as much to do, but boy is it ever lovely...

flickr.com/photos/…

Sorrento is generally considered the best base in the region though, as it offers easy access to both the major historical sites (Pompeii, Herculaneum) and the Amalfi Coast.

It could be tough finding something in that price range, but not impossible. Explore some options at Venere.com.

Good luck.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Woman

Okay, I read your post again and realized I missed the part about big cities and people watching. Well then, Naples could be the place for you!

It's a noisy, crazy, and crowded place. To be honest, many people are turned off by it. But others (like me) find it intoxicating. It has 2,500 years of history. And there is no place better for just sitting and people-watching. The city is chock full of street theater! I know a wonderful B&B in a charming part of town in your price range, if you're interested.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Woman

In May 2008 we stayed at Hotel Europa for 80 euros a night ($112). it had it's own mineral pool and was very conveniently located. It was a very nice hotel in Ischia Ponte, so I am sure you might be able to find something cheaper, if this is too expensive for you.

Check out ischiaonline for lodging and sightseeing

http://www.ischiaonline.it/

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Woman

Lula,

We first came to the volcanic island of Ischia, now our home, because it was near enough (but not too near) to Naples, Pompeii, Capri, the Amalfi Coast and other places, and also offered plenty to do when we didn't want to go off-island - and not just the lovely beaches and gorgeous thermal spa gardens such as Negombo, Poseidon and Castiglione!

Eurofly have Wednesday and Friday flights from JFK to Naples until the end of September - returning on Thursdays and Saturdays (last one, 1st October) - no idea if they still have seats, but that may be easier than changing in Rome or Milan?

You'll find my collection of stuff about the island, and nearby places that make good daytrips, here: www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

Peter