We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP: 2 Week November Trip

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP: 2 Week November Trip

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a 2-week trip to Italy this November.

Three questions:

Q1. This is our tentative itinerary:

Milan (2 Nights) - Venice (4 Nights) - XXXX (2 Nights) - Florence (3 Nights) - Rome (3 Nights)

We were thinking of popping in a visit to the Italian Riviera before hitting Florence from Venice. Confused if it is getting too hectic, if the weather is bad during Nov in the Riviera, and where to go in the Riviera. Should we rather drop the Riviera and use the two nights in Florence or Venice?

Q2. Should we book our inter-city train connects online before reaching Italy or is it fairly simple to get reservations on the same day?

Q3. Should we buy tickets to the art galleries in Florence and elsewhere online?

Would love to hear your experiences and advice.

Thanks a lot,

Deep Anchor

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP: 2 Week November Trip

1. November on the Riviera is iffy. I'd add a night each to Florence and Rome.

2. There is no need to book trains before your trip. Buy train tickets in Italy; most often, it's possible to buy up to 10 minutes before departure.

3. It would be advisable to buy timed-entry tickets to the Uffizi and the Accademia in Florence. In Rome, the Galleria Borghese requires timed-entry tickets.

Dublin
Level Contributor
88 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP: 2 Week November Trip

Book your tickets at a travel agents in Italyfor trains. Not all travel agents do it, but the ones that do have a sign in the window and it's free. Another quick way to do it is to go to one of the machines at the train station the day before and buy your tickets, as if you wait till the day you're travelling, there may be a queue.I'm telling you this because I have a friend who booked everything before going to Italy and she had problems with the tickets at the train station, had to go to an office and pay a supplement on them. I don't know why but the whole thing was a lot of hassle for her. I've done it through travel agents in Italy and had no problems. Book the day before as in Nov. there won't be a mad rush. Weather will be chilly in November. I don't know if you can buy tickets in advance to see David in Florence. I remember queueing for quite a while to go in. I think maybe groups can book in advance.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP: 2 Week November Trip

Hello,

I would definitely drop the Italian Riviera as it will be cold in November but places to visit are Rapallo and Portofino in the summer months.

It would be a good time to visit Venice and Florence as the summer months are extremely hot. As you are going to Milan, you could also visit Lago Maggiore - you can get a train from Milan to Stresa (about 40 mins away by train) which is a nice little town and the next town Baveno is also pretty to visit.

Rome would also be good to visit in November as again, too hot during summer.

Sorry, can't help with Q2 and Q3 -

Margarita

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP: 2 Week November Trip

Hey Zerlina, Margarita, Dublin_Happy:

Thanks a lot for you tips.

Cheers and Luck!

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP: 2 Week November Trip

Hi,

The itinerary has changed and the hotels are all done, thanks to your advice!

However, when I googled the uffizi and the accademia, what I came across were third-party sites selling online tickets.

Is that the way to go about it? Is there an official museum site? Or would November give us a lot of breathing space to actually buy tickets at the museum itself.

Thanks again.

6. Re: HELP: 2 Week November Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 05:18