We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist robbed of rolex watch

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
tourist robbed of rolex watch

A report on 30th August (Il Mattino - Naples newspaper) announces that an English tourist was robbed of his rolex watch as he 'took the air' on the access road outside Naples airport ! The watch was worth five thousand euro ! How much food would that have bought a poor person ? I cannot believe that tourists are stil going on holiday sporting expensive Rolex watches ! Of course robbery is wrong.... of course it shouldn't have happened.... but Who are these people trying to impress ? It's only something with which to tell the time ! The criminals don't even have to pretend it's a 'real rolex' - not a case of defrauding the fashion houses with false goods, and false 'high fashion names' here... ! Don't these rich people realise that if they travel to an area with high unemployment, poverty and consequent high petty crime... they are putting temptation into these people's path...? How insensitive can they be ?

And doesn't Mr Berlusconi realise that he needs to drop the 'gigolo' impression (whether it is true or false is irrelevant) and show some real improvement in how his country is run ? He needs to sort out the South and the poorer areas, clear the mess of 'pollution' caused by dumping - thanks to the hold the criminals have on the poor ? Who else gives the poor money ? But they simply perpetuate the criminal stranglehold. The people need worthwhile jobs, with the consequent increase in justified self-esteem, then they can improve their homes, their lives, their area... and only a drop in crime and improved economy will encourage tourists to travel to these beautiful areas.... It makes you want to weep....

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

What I can't believe is that this passes for News? This is just more of the same that has been being reported in Naples over the past 5 years.

I remember the report about the poor tourist in Naples who had his camera stolen and he chased down the thief, only to be in the the thief's own nieghborhood, where the tourist was assaulted by more than one person while others looked on.

As far as most of Naples goes, most tourists are "rich people". It is just many don't choose to wear their wealth. Many of us "rich" tourists try to take temptation out of the way by avoiding Naples when we can. Problematic, when it is a major Transport hub for the area. Maybe we can do a better job of removing temptation when the new airport opens in Salerno someday.

The Italians love Mr Berlusconi or they would not have re-elected him. This is not the first time that he has held high office. Maybe Mr Berlusconi can get started solving these problems on his agenda after his divorce is final?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

It is wrong , on one deserves to be robbed, but as Norana say's why tempt providence, wearing valuable items of jewellery etc, there is always enough said about this, just give's ammunition for the knock Naples brigade,

3. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 07:35
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

it's not a "knock Naples brigade".

More than one person has agreed that this is "normal" news. if one doesn't want it discussed (ie some of the negative aspects of visiting Naples), then one should not even put up a post about a robbery in Naples. Does it add to the "Gritty Beauty"?

My whole vacation for 2 probably cost as mcuh as that guy's watch. But I and others hear about that guy's watch being stolen (in a post like this and others over the years), and along with limited, not very postive exposure to Naples when passing through it, it sure doesn't encourage one to expose one's own much more modest possessions to "temptation" by staying near there any significant amount of time.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

Perhaps the victim has only one watch, and he wears the Rolex all the time not to impress anybody, and he had no intention of being insensitive.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

If he can afford a Rolex he can afford another watch. Come on!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

What bothers me about stuff like this is that it's also "normal news" for someone to be robbed in most U.S. cities EVERY SINGLE DAY. That is certainly true for Washington, DC, where I live.

Yet this doesn't stop the tourists from coming to places like Washington, DC. There is no logical reason that it should stop them.

Yet when people hear some news story like this about Naples, the immediate logical conclusion seems to be: "Naples is a very dangerous place and it's to be avoided."

And what gets lost is the fact that this conclusion is utter nonsense.

(sigh)

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

I'm sorry - I seem to have stirred up a 'hornets' nest' - this wasn't intended as 'news'...just my fury at people still being so insensitive about ostentatious wealth.

I must add, that have never been mugged in Naples itself, or the Campania region, in all the years I've been travelling there. But, I don't wear much jewellery in general, and never on holiday. I may wear cheap beads as decoration and for fun on holiday, nothing anyone would want to mug me for. If you need a cheap watch as a timekeeper, you can get one for very little at a garage/service station, they practically give them away. Every railway, bus station and airport has a clock !

Naples and the surrounding area are beautiful and the people welcoming and friendly. If you talk to people on buses and trains you'll also meet some who are very 'cultured'. As in other countries/cities there are areas and people that are 'doubtful'. In terms of personal safety, these 'less safe' areas are not usually the 'tourist venues', but the poorer suburbs, and sleazy places around railway stations (as in all other towns worldwide), where petty criminals hang out.

Don't be put off, the South of Italy has many gems (see my posts on Caserta / Solfatara / the islands / Naples itself and Sicily) which is why I wish the government (this one or the next) would put some effort into sorting out the South. The North has always had 'industrial and economic advantages' because of its terrain, ease of transport links, and closeness to mainland Europe. While Central Italy has been over-run by tourists and 'second homers' looking for Chianti and Art ... the South still has its natural charms, but only just...if idiots and criminals can be stopped from polluting the land and sea. Someone in power (of whatever political persuasion) needs to stop talking, and start doing... and realise what's happening (or not) down South, before it's too late and ruined.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

"What bothers me about stuff like this is that it's also "normal news" for someone to be robbed in most U.S. cities EVERY SINGLE DAY. That is certainly true for Washington, DC, where I live. "

yes. that's true. The limited amount of time that I spent in Naples, it reminded me of my girlhood home, in Detroit. I don't vacation anywhere near ny girlhood home in Detroit and just go the the suburbs of Detroit to vist my relatives and friends. I don't recommend Detroit to my other friends as a vacation spot.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tourist robbed of rolex watch

The Bay of Naples is a great spot to vacation in once you leave Naples. Nobody staring at you, no very aggressive vendors and beggars, no aggressive men who don't understand no trying to pick up my daughter.

Sorrento, Capri, Ischia, Pompei (we styed in Modern Pompei for 11 nights in Feb 2006), even Ercolano (at leaast druing the day), Torre Annunziata. all great place to vist and stay. Sorrenot is the gateway to the Amalfi coast that I'll have to see one3 of these days.