We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in Italy - does this make sense?

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
28 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
One month in Italy - does this make sense?

My husband and I will be in Italy for 5 weeks next August. We want a relaxing stay, but also a stay where we see things. My rough idea is that we spend one week in Cinque Terre, then travel to Venice for one week, then Florence for one week, the Rome for one week, then Sorrento for one week.

My intention is to book vacation rental apartments in each place for one week, and then do day trips to surrounding areas to see other things. (We will not have a car)

Questions:

1) Does the order of places make sense based on transportation

2) Any recommendations for vacation rentals you have stayed in? (under 800 euros per week)

3) What day trips are a must do (that we can do without a car)?

Thanks for your input.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

I would strongly advise you to rent a car while in Tuscany. Many of the hill towns are either not served or poorly served by trains, and otherwise you'll be held hostage to the bus schedules.

With a car you can explore the smallest towns and out of the way places or take the roads less travelled by. My wife and I have stumbled on some interesting places by taking a gravel road or some very small road that most people won't take.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

sisabell,

What order may be dictated by where you will arrive and depart. I have found it easier to get an early morning flight from Rome rather than Naples while staying in Sorento so I would switch the last two stops.

See http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/reviews.asp

for reviews on apartments.

Try the search function here or repost on each applicable forum for day trips.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,408 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

You do not say where you intend to arrive by plane and where you intend to depart. I doubt I am competent to advise about either the Cinque Terre or the Sorrento/Amalfi coast as I am not enamoured of seasides, prefering either cities or genuine countryside.

I would hire a car and spend time exploring the Tuscany and Umbrian countryside with a detour out to Urbino as a possibility rather tha any coastline. You really cannot see all that is worthwhile if you have to rely on trains and buses. The coastlines are short of good art and architecture.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

I like the idea of staying put here and there and using those cities as a base

but one of the great pleasures of Italy is the countryside between FLorence and Rome -- I'd be inclined to shorten the Cinque Terre and Sorrento stays to a combined week, probably in hotels and add a week of a rural rental in tuscany and have a car for that week -- we have done this many times and it is pretty wonderful to be able to explore the many wonderful cities -- you can drop the car at the Rome airport or maybe the Naples airport -- and then take the train to Sorrento (which is a good base for Pompeii and the Amalfi coast) and then back up to Rome to finish and fly out.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

oh and order of town depends on where you fly in and out -- I'd be inclined to fly into Milan and begin with the Cinque Terre for maybe 3 nights and then fly out of Rome at the end after 4 nights in Sorrento and a final week in an apartment in Rome

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
28 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

Thank you for all your input so far. We are actually going to be traveling for an extended period of time. I know we will be entering Italy via Nice, France and would like to go to Greece after... the details are still sketchy :)

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

Hi -

If you're going on to Greece, you might want to consider the ferry from Brindisi or Bari, both on the heel of Italy, to Patras. Both make stops in Corfu and Igoumenitsa to drop off and pick up passengers, so you could arrange your travel so as to stay in Corfu, for instance, for a few days.

I agree with cutting the QT and Sorrento to a week total. They're very nice, each of them, but can be toured adequately in that time.

If you go to www.ricksteves.com you can order his European rail map. Another good resource is the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable. It's a monthly publication, but since the changes that occur aren't particularly dramatic, any month you can locate will be fine. The biggest advantage of the timetable is that it lists all the intermediate stations on every route and which trains stop there, and when, which is really important planning information. Try www.thomascookpublishing.com for a start.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,046 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

Staying in Venice for a week doesn't make sense unless you want to spend a week in Venice itself, I would have thought. It's not that easy to get in and out and you'd always be dependent on public transport. I'd say it'd be simpler to stay somewhere in the Veneto for most of the time and either a couple of days in Venice or go on day-trip(s).

We once spent a week one August near Vicenza and had a fantastic time visiting Verona, Vicenza, Bassano di Grappa, Padova and the smaller town s south of there; and of course Venice. Lots of Palladio's buildings all over the area and attractive countryside, different from Tuscany.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,830 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

I would stay where ever you stay in August make sure you have Air conditioning, not all places have it,

Venice
Level Contributor
101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One month in Italy - does this make sense?

Hi,

for your week in Venice I would suggest to stay on the land. In August the city centre its crowded of tourists. You can find self catering apartments (villarenters.com) in small towns not far from Venice and very well connected by train like Noale . Fro here you can also go to visit Treviso and Padua by car or by bus and to Bassano del Grappa or Trento by train. Venice is at 30 minutes by train.

Ciao