We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route ok?

singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
Route ok?

Can someone advise if the below route that I hv plan is it workable or rather does it make sense? I can only afford a total of 5 nights in Italy.

Sin/Rome (2 nights)

*Before heading to Florence, is it possible that I go Pisa for half a day?? I just want to touch & go and take some pictures @ Pisa.

Rome/Florence (2 nights)

Florence/Venice (1 night)

My next destination is Bern. Is there a train that takes me from Venice to Bern?? Or I hv to take a train to Milan and take a train to Bern??

Thks for your comments and input.

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,972 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
529 reviews
from US$410.40*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,699 reviews
from US$111.90*
Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route ok?

search this site for your train routes and bookings

http://www.seat61.com/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,137 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route ok?

I suggest you look at a map of northern Italy. Pisa is very close to Florence, so it does not make sense to do a day trip from Rome to Pisa, and then travel to Florence. Go to Florence and trip to Pisa from there.

canada
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route ok?

cwongst, you forgot to figure in transit time. When you say Venice 1 night, you spent the day travelling to Venice, check-in? for the night and then leave early for your next long leg to Bern. That means you are only interested in a Venetian bed rather than the city and sights, nor the daily life and atmosphere.

I suggest you spend a extra night in Rome. Skip Venice.

Study the train schedule, maybe you can spend half an hour in Pisa on your way to Milan from Florence.

Look up train schedules from trenitalia.com and sbb.ch.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Route ok?

Pisa would not be worth your limited time and reserve the museums in Florence to save time.

www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/Uffizi/default.aspx

Spend one night in Florence and continue exploring Florence the following day, but spend that night in Venice – Spend two nights in Venice.

Check rail connections on Swiss Rail:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/

Or even consider fling Air Berlin from Venice Marco Polo to Zurich and then take the train from Zurich to Bern.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/start.php

Vagabonda

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,548 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route ok?

1 night in Venice would be a waste of time you would really not scrape the surface,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Route ok?

If it came down to onl;y one night in Venice, consider bofoster's suggestion to skip Venice.

That said, Venice has much more to offer then Bern!!

Vagabonda

London, England
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route ok?

Vagabonda has a point- but as Pisa is only an hour from Florence, with very frequent trains and as several of its attractions are concentrated in one tiny area you could easily stop off for a few hours on the day when you travel from Rome to Florence. (we did a similar trip from Pisa to Florence by rail a couple of weeks ago).

I think (without re-checking) that its only a couple of hours by rail from Rome to Pisa. Then its only a short, 6-10 Euro taxi-ride from the rail station to Piazza de Miracoli. Buy a combined ticket to visit 2, 3 or more of the cluster of attractions there, with a timed ticket to climb the tower so you can visit the cathedral, baptistry, camposanto/old walled cemetry (my favourite as its relatively less spectacular) or the museums while waiting. Grab lunch in the touristic but very competent and reasonable value restaurant Pizzeria La Tana Riccomi, at 6 Via San Frediano where you can eat with a view of the tower... and be in Florence for dinner!

In the unlikely event that there's no left luggage at the staion, a hotel like Villa Kinzica, also right by the tower, and known to taxi drivers, would probably keep your bags for a few Euros tip. Good travelling- whatever you choose will be great, and rail travel in Italy is much easier and cheaper than here in the UK. And as people often say in other posts, the seat61 website is an easy way into the Trenitalia site, but train times don't all get posted many months in advance

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Route ok?

Although Pisa is only an hour from Florence, there are faster trains from Rome to Florence than from Rome to Pisa. Time in Pisa would detract from time in Florence – Prioritize which is more important to you.

There is a left luggage office where you can store your bags at Pisa Centrale.

Luggage Lockers at Pisa Train Station:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187899-i577-k2474…

Save time in Pisa by booking in advance.

http://www.opapisa.it/

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Route ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2010, 06:18