We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice or Sorrento??

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Venice or Sorrento??

So my buddy from college and I are going to be traveling to Italy for the first time in mid-May. We're only able to go for about 8 nights. We'll be spending half that time in Taormina, Sicily. The other 4 nights are up in the air and we're debating between Venice or Sorrento. Both places seem beautiful.

We're both in our late 30's. I'd say architecture, genuine/rustic dining, and the overall cultural experience are our interest. To give an example of our interests, I took a trip to southern Spain a year ago and fell in love with Granada! Not a crazy big city but large enough. Was historic and beautiful.

I'm sorry to be so vague, but we're only in the early planning stages. I'd surely appreciate any feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Spain
Spain
Europe
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,050 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

Sorrento and Venice are very different indeed. Sorento occupies half a page in the Michelin Green Guifde to Italy, almost a half of which is about the Penisola Sorrentina and the scenery.

Venice occupies twelve and a half pages about this unique city, its history, architecture and art.

if it is pretty a coast you want then Sorrento has something to offer. If not, then Venice wins hands down.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Ristorante Michelin
Ristorante Michelin
447 Reviews
Tregnago, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,622 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

Two very different places but both to be honest my favorite places in Italy, really depend so much what you want, Taormina is really beautiful, but for a contrast go to Venice it is unique,

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

Venice hands down

Sorrento is like many other places -- Venice is not

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,641 posts
720 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

I would also say Venice. Sorrento is an amazing place, but it could look a little too similar to Taormina: a little town in a fantastic natural scenery, with beautiful sea and seaside. It depends on what you want, but after Taormina I would change a bit more.

Venice can hardly compare to other places: there are some wonderful monuments, churches and palaces to see, but if you are interested in architecture also the historical centre of Venice itself is a wonder. Its structure harmonizing buildings, alleys, bridges and water makes it unique. You could discover some charming hidden corners everywhere - not unlike some ancient cities of Southern Spain.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Spain
Spain
Europe
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

A biased opinion - Venice!

Sorrento is nice, but Venice took my breath away!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

Venice is awesome!!!

but.....from Sorrento you have access (via ferry and local train) to Naples, Pompeii, Vesuvio, Capri, Amalfi Coast, Herculaneum, Caserta, Paestum and so many more historic locations.

You'll be in Sicily so use Sorrento as a 'base' and save beautiful Venice for another trip to include Florence, Pisa, Milan and the Tuscan region (gorgeous).

Mid-May will be warmer in the southern regions too and before the major tourist season.

Returned Oct 5 from Sorrento (3rd trip as base camp) and went to the Phlegrean Fields, Pozzuoli, Cumae, Baia, & Solfatara Volcano - all to the west of Naples. The museum in Naples houses all the artifacts found in the surrounding areas from the eruption that destroyed Pompeii, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Pompeii
Pompeii
Vesuvio
Vesuvio
6,430 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Caserta
Caserta
Province of Caserta, Italy
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Pozzuoli
Pozzuoli
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,759 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

If architecture, genuine/rustic dining, and the overall cultural experience are your interest, why did you decide on Taormina? - Taormina is a tourist resort. Siracusa has the (Baroque) architecture, great dining, offers a (local) cultural experience, and you could easily visit UNESCO Baroque Noto, a very beautiful town.

Venice is unique – Art, architecture, palazzi, history…..

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Siracusa Hotel
Siracusa Hotel
380 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Noto
Noto
Sicily, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

Thank you all for your input! It is all very helpful in us making a determination. To Vagabonda, I also thank you for your suggestion on where to stay in Sicily. We based our decision to stay in Taormina on a recommendation from a well traveled co-worker. that said, I will look further into Siracusa.

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Siracusa Hotel
Siracusa Hotel
380 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,759 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

Taormina is certainly a beautiful mediaeval hill town, BUT…..

Authentic Sicily- not Taormina?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k1459…

Taormina may not be the best match for you!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice or Sorrento??

Agree with Vagabonda but a visit to Taormina would also be on my cards for a day trip .

Sorrento is over touristy for my taste and offers a rather sterotype idea of what we think Italy should be!!

I would go for Venice anyday before Sorrento.

OK It is also very touristy at times and in many parts but it has the possibility of giving you more emotion and more culture than Sorrento.

Split between Sicily and Venice to get 2 very different views of Italy.would be my advise

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice