I've been reading this forum for a while and would like some suggestions/advice/alternatives for a rough itineray.
Firstly a profile....wife and I travelling for 6 weeks in Italy mid september to end october 2010, both in mid 50's. Don't like flash hotels and would like some chill out time in between seeing sights. Would like to stay in B&Bs etc. hopefully 60-80 Euros per night staying at one place per town.
Here is a rough itinerary:
- fly into Milan from Australia
- 4 days around lakes Como etc.
- train to Padua (5 days) as base for Venice and nearby towns
- Hire car from Lucca and drive to Siena (8 days) as base. With car for day trips. Will stay out of town.
- Drive to Salerno drop off car or drop off car in Siena and train to Amalfi and stay at Atrani/Amalfi (8 days). Local trips and chill out.
-Train to Rome (4 days to see sights)
-Fly out of Rome.
That leaves about 5 days....Any suggestions or altenatives for trip please.