We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on 6 week itinerary

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
advice on 6 week itinerary

I've been reading this forum for a while and would like some suggestions/advice/alternatives for a rough itineray.

Firstly a profile....wife and I travelling for 6 weeks in Italy mid september to end october 2010, both in mid 50's. Don't like flash hotels and would like some chill out time in between seeing sights. Would like to stay in B&Bs etc. hopefully 60-80 Euros per night staying at one place per town.

Here is a rough itinerary:

- fly into Milan from Australia

- 4 days around lakes Como etc.

- train to Padua (5 days) as base for Venice and nearby towns

- train to Lucca (6 days) as base for Pisa, Cinque Terre, Florence and other towns.

- Hire car from Lucca and drive to Siena (8 days) as base. With car for day trips. Will stay out of town.

- Drive to Salerno drop off car or drop off car in Siena and train to Amalfi and stay at Atrani/Amalfi (8 days). Local trips and chill out.

-Train to Rome (4 days to see sights)

-Fly out of Rome.

That leaves about 5 days....Any suggestions or altenatives for trip please.

Thanks

Garry

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

Personally, i would stay in Venice rather than Padua. Padua is pleasant, but Venice is unique, and part of the joy of staying in Venice is that one can wander around in the evening after the cruise passengers and day-trippers have left.

There is good, reasonably priced accommodation available in Venice. See, for example, www.aitagliapietra.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

A lovely trip but I would add some extra days to Rome and Venice and make sure you give a few days to Milan which I find underrated by many people.

Venice is a great base for other places such as Padua, Verona, the villas of the Brenta Canal, Vicenza for Palladio's architecture as well as the islands of the lagoon.

Rome is so full of wonders that you will never feel it is dull, but I did get a lot more out of it by planning one major thing for each day and then adding on bits that were nearby. You can also take wonderful day trips to places like Ostia Antica, Tivoli and the Villa d'Este (amazing fountains and gardens), Orvieto with its lovely cosmatesque mosaics on the cathedral and the beautiful town perched on a bluff above the plains.

The Beehive is often recommended on the forum for cheaper stays in Rome. You could also consider an apartment though it might be difficult at your budget. However you do save by being able to prepare some meals and it is nice to have room to move and things like a washing machine.

www.the-beehive.com/english.html

www.sleepinitaly.com (we stayed in Vicolo Orbitelli. It was wonderful)

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

Thanks ....I didn't think I would be able to get reasonably priced accomodation in Venice hence choosing Padua as a base.

Perhaps I'll spend 3 nights in venice and 3 in Vicenza or Verona as a base.

Garry

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

You would miss out a lot I feel not staying in Venice, there are some very reasonable B&B's there , good value,

bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com/bed_and_break…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

If you stay in Vicenza make sure it is over a Wednesday and then you can visit La Rotonda, Palladio's masterpiece. A family still lives in it so they only open the house the one day.

Our blog may give some ideas. For example, we were blown away by Mantua, totally unexpected.

…blogspot.com/2009/08/of-villas-and-palazzi-…

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

After soaking up plenty of reviews on Tripadvisor, my itinerary for mid September to late October now looks like this:

- Fly into Milan and taxi from Malpensa AP to Arona on Lake Maggiore

- 4 nights in Arona. 1 day of rest after 20 hours flying then day trips around lake. Hire car for 1 day to Como and up to Soglio.

- Train to Venice for 4 nights.

- Train to Verona for 4 nights. Day trips Vicenzia, Padua and smaller towns to the north.

- Train to Lucca for 7 nights inside City walls. Day trips to Cinque Terre, Pisa, Florence and other small towns.

- Hire care and drive to Siena for 7 nights at agriturismo near town. Day trips to Chianti, hill towns etc.

- 2 nights in one of the hill towns which we'll pick from our day trips.

- Drive to Amalfi Coast, drop off car in Salerno and stay in Atrani in a B&B for 7 nights. Chill out and a few day trips to Pompei, Positano etc.

- Train to Rome for 5 nights. Stay in town and do local sights. Chill out on last day before flying home.

I'm about to book some of the accomodation especially for the longer stays and major towns, might leave the short stays until we get there for a bit of flexibility. From the accomodation I've looked at I reckon I can average 70 Euro per night over the 6 weeks. The week long stays tend to be a lot cheaper than nightly stays and we'll stay in cheaper B@Bs and holiday rentals.

Any thoughts on the trip?

Garry

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

You could also consider staying at least 2 nights in Florence. It's a nice place.

Other places to consider: Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento & Sicily.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

Yes I considered staying in Florence but figured I could do it in a couple of day trips. I'm not really a big city person hence staying in Lucca. I could fit more places in but I reckon staying in 7 places in 6 weeks is about right. Sicily seems a bit far, and I will possibly do day trips to Sorrento and Naples.

When I first strarted looking at Italy I thought 6 weeks would be plenty, but now realise there are so many places to see. Maybe next time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on 6 week itinerary

Sounds divine, have a great time.

Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply