We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Reform Marriage Input?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish Reform Marriage Input?

Aiuto! We are finding it a definite challenge in getting married in Italy! We are Jewish, not conservative or orthodox, but reform. We can't seem to find any reform synagogues or reform rabbis in Italy...or at least getting them to respond to our inquiries. We have tried to contact the local Italian Consulate...but only get recordings, no live voices yet! We have all of our papers/documents ready for them...past divorce decrees, birth certificates, etc. Has anyone any knowledge, information, or experience in the subject of Jewish 'Reform' weddings anywhere in Italy? We plan on being there in May of this year. Many thanks in advance...Grazie! Oh, one last thing...we want the marriage to be legal, not just ceremonial!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish Reform Marriage Input?

As far as I know, there are no Reform congregations at all in Italy. In fact, they're rare outside the US. Maybe you'll have to take a rabbi with you. However I don't think the marriage would be legal if the rabbi weren't Italian. There is a very small progressive Jewish movement in Italy, which I think is similar to Reform Judaism in the US. (I'm not Jewish, so I may be wrong.) They have a community in MIlan. Here is their English language web page:

lnx.levchadash.info/index.php…

They should at least be able to give you some pointers. Note that it isn't exactly easy to get legally married in Italy. There's a fair amount of red tape, and I think some of the paperwork has to be done well ahead of time. Most people who get married in Italy have a civil ceremony, and there are wedding planners who are experts in setting this up, including the paperwork.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish Reform Marriage Input?

Thank you for your insight and information 'bvlenci'. One wonders if it would be as difficult for an Italian citizen to get married here in the USofA? Ah well, such is life...I think we will settle for a nice, simple civil service in Italy. I look forward to the challenge of getting all the paperwork together and visiting our local Italian Consulate! Thanks again...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish Reform Marriage Input?

Actually, in Italy all weddings are civil ceremonies, with the exception that the Catholic Church has special permission to perform the civil ceremony at the end of the religious ceremony. I don't believe any other Christian or non-Christian denominations have this permission, so usually a civil ceremony is performed in the city hall, followed by a religious (or nonreligious) ceremony in a more congenial place.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish Reform Marriage Input?

...ahha, the light goes on! Thank you again!

5. Re: Jewish Reform Marriage Input?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 06:23