We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to italy--just beginning our planning

Springfield...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time to italy--just beginning our planning

We are just beginning to plan our trip to Italy. We have a travel guide and have just started our reading. I have been reading TA also and there are many good suggestions. We will be flying from Boston to either Rome or Venice in June 2011. Looking for suggestions initially on cheapest airfare, what is the approximate airfare that we should be jumping on. I should have started looking last year to see what they should be if I started planning early that is why I ask about airfare. We are looking at Rome, Pisa,Florence and Venice...any order is fine depending on airfare.At this point we are not planning on renting a car and plan on using trains and in city transportation,. We will be in Italy for 2 weeks. Most time will be spent in Rome as we will try for an apt there. If there are any other areas that have must sees we ask for suggestions. I know this is general right now and as I read more in guidebooks and on this forum I am sure I will get more of an idea of what we will do. We are 3 adults and an 18 year old. Thanks in advance

Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
See Amalfi Coast and more...
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Easitalytours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Iaccarino Sorrento Limousine Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

It seems you are doing everything right - reading, planning ahead, not going to too many places. I think I would suggest Lucca instead of Pisa, with a day trip to Pisa.

If you book air fare too far out you run the risk of the flights being changed or cancelled. But keep watching and seriously consider something good at about 8 months before your trip.

going open-jaw where you fly into Rome and out of Venice (or the reverse) will save you time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,996 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

You might want to plan on flying into Venice and out of Rome. Many of the flights from Venice to USA seem to leave very early morning.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,802 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

June is high season so perhaps not too much chance of low airfare sales.

In my experience, even from the west coast the low fares are anything under $900. The lowest I've ever gotten was a sale for just over $500 BUT that was not in June!!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

I agree with sydneynick that you should fly in to Venice and out from Rome and have train rides in between (Venice -> Florence -> Pisa -> Rome). You'll have more options flying out of Rome so you can maximize your last day.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

I was thinking about, if it is possible, stopping in Pisa as we pass through to, sorry not looking at the map, Florence/Rome. We just wanted to see the Leaning Tower and then continue on our journey. I don't know if this is possible but just trying to save time. We would be traveling by train so I would have to check and see if that is a possible route.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

Yes, you can stop in Pisa on the way from Florence to Rome. 2-3 hours stop should be enough. Trains from Florence to Pisa are considered shuttle train and they run quiet regularly.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

Looking at a map of Italy it is hard to see how Pisa is really on the way to anywhere.

Cheap is not something that happens to airfare to italy in June. If you are looking for the least expensive fare, you should not be searching a particular airline, but searching at Sidestep, Kayak, and Cheap Air constantly and be ready to buy the instant you might see something cheaper.

I have flown from Detroit to Florence for $600 roundtrip stopping at CDG, but that was in Feb. Once my daughter flew from Detroit to Rome similarly for $700 in Feb.

if you are staying in Italy only 2 weeks,and renting an apt in Rome (?1 week?), maybe you should only visit one other city (Florence or venice). There is a lot to see in do in both Florence and Rome. I have not been to Venice yet. I have been to Rome four different times for 10-12 days.

8. Re: first time to italy--just beginning our planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 08:16