We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets for multiple locations

California
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train Tickets for multiple locations

I’ll be on a cruise ship and plan to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome, then from Rome to Florence, spend the night in Florence, then travel from Florence to Pisa for a short stop of about 2 hours, then on to Livorno to rejoin the ship.

I need train tickets:

April 30th Depart: 730-800AM Civitavecchia to Rome

April 30th Depart: 500-600PM Rome to Florence

May 1st Depart: 100-200PM Florence to Pisa

May 1st Depart: 400-500PM Pisa to Livorno

I have tried to purchase these tickets online at www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html however; the only ticket that I have been able to purchase online is from Rome to Florence. When I try to purchase the other 3 tickets, the website will show the schedules but then shows “N/A” and doesn’t allow a purchase.

How do I purchase the other 3 tickets?

Also, I only plan to stopover in Pisa for 2 hours on my way to Livorno. Do I need separate tickets from Florence to Pisa, then form Pisa to Livorno or can I purchase a ticket form Florence to Livorno, exit at Pisa for 2 hours, then catch a later train using the same ticket?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,966 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,699 reviews
from US$111.90*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Tickets for multiple locations

The other tickets are on local (Regionale) trains, and online tickets for these trains are not available until 7 days before travel.

However, it is absolutely pointless to buy these tickets in advance. There are no seat reservations, and tickets cannot sell out. Just buy in Italy.

Tickets for Regionale trains must be validated before you get on a train by time stamping them in a yellow machine at the station. They are then valid for 6 hours. Therefore you could break your journey at Pisa, provided you arrive in Livorno no more than 6 hours after you stamped the ticket.

California
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Tickets for multiple locations

Thank you so much!!!

I have another question/problem. I made my reservations from Rome to Florence, but when I tried to pay, it came back "Payment Denied" I tried 2 different cards and both came back "Payment Denied" Bot cards are good, one is a Mastercard Credit Card and the other is my Bank debit card with the Visa logo.

I live in the US, do you know if there's another way to make payment? I wanted to prepay and get the 30% advanced booking discount.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Tickets for multiple locations

The Trenitalia web site is renowned for not accepting cards issued outside Europe. There is nothing that can be done about this: you just have to buy in Italy without the discount.

4. Re: Train Tickets for multiple locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 05:18