We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Hello,

My husband and I are deciding where to spend our time in Italy on our 2nd honeymoon after visiting family in Germany and Austria this summer. We have decided to spend 5 days in Tuscany, a few nights in Rome, 1 night in Venice, and either 3 nights in Positano, or Ravello (Amalfi Coast), or further north on the Cinque Terre. We are in our 30's without children, wanting nice relaxation time. We would like to spend around $150 USD or less per night. Suggestions? Thoughts? We have heard that both coastal areas are beautiful!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Seeing that the rest of your holiday is in northern Italy, it would make sense to visit the Cinque Terre rather than go rushing off south to Amalfi and then back north. If you want to visit either this summer, start looking for hotels now. Try www.venere.com

Melbourne
Level Contributor
218 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

I would head for the Amalfi Coast myself, it's not that far from Rome really, and it is, in my opinion, one of the most spectacular places on earth, very dramatic and seriously romantic.

If you want to be sensible, then I think Nick's suggestion is good, as the CT are closer to where you are visiting.

I'm not sure of hotel rooms at $150 US, that is only around 100Euro, but have a look at venere.com

Have a wonderful second honeymoon!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,896 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

I would think a lot would depend on where you are flying home from,

Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

As you are in Rome it will make sense to head down to Amalfi coaasta, but Sophie8 is right, depends on which city is your flight back from. You could also visit cinque terre on a day trip from Tuscany

Edited: 04 February 2010, 09:28
Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

We are actually flying in and out of Frankfurt, Germany (due to free miles)- this trip is a one month long trip to visit my aunts, uncles, and cousins, all living in Germany in Austria. We are taking a 2 week trip there, then 2 weeks to Italy. We plan on taking an overnight train back up to Germany after our Italian portion of the trip and spending the last 2 nights or so in Rotenberg or Fussen so we are closer to Frankfurt. So...with that being said, should we do Amalfi or Cinque Terre? Cinque Terre would probably make more sense, but this is sort of a one-in-a-lifetime type trip, so not sure we'll ever get back to doing this.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Cinque Terre better fits your itinerary and is less expensive than the Amalfi Coast, but the Amalfi Coast is a world class destination and if this is a one-in-a-lifetime type trip, the Amalfi Coast is worth your effort.

Earlier threads have compared both areas….

Almafi Coast or Cinque Terre?:

tripadvisor.com/…22932846

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

If you really want to visit tha Amalfi coast LUFTHANSA flyes direct from Naples to Munich then you can take a train or plane to Frankfurt

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Great advice - Save time and fly!!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Three days...Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2010, 07:18