We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Week Itinerary- thoughts? Need to finalize- Help!

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2 Week Itinerary- thoughts? Need to finalize- Help!

Hello,

My husband and I are traveling to Germany and Austria first for 2 weeks to visit my extended family, and then onto Italy as a honeymoon. We have to fly in and out of Frankfurt, unfortunately due to mileage plus points, which makes things a bit tough. Thoughts on this Itinerary? Wondering if we should do 1 more day in Positano or Sorrento and cut out either 1 night in Salzburg from earlier in our trip (we are staying 2 nights in Salzburg) or just do 1 night in Venice.

Nights of August 10th, 11th Stay in Venice

Take train to Rome

Nights of August 12th, 13th Stay in Rome

August 14th (Travel Day)

Train to Naples

Hire a driver to either Sorrento or Positano

Nights of August 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th

Positano or Sorrento- have not yet decided

Aug 18th, Hire Driver to Naples, then take train to Florence

Stay in Tuscany in Country House near Florence

Nights of August 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st. 22nd, 23rd

Day of August 24th

Return Car, Take morning flight to Frankfurt from Pisa or Florence

Leave from Frankfurt Airport at 5 p.m., August 24th

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Week Itinerary- thoughts? Need to finalize- Help!

"just do 1 night in Venice" - I would base that upon when you arrive and when you plan to depart Venice.

"August 14th (Travel Day) - the fast train from Rome is only 1.5 hrs (+/-) to Naples.

"either Sorrento or Positano" - I would make Sorrento the home base. You'd have access to trains (Herculaneum, Pompeii, Naples), ferries (Positano, Capri, Ischia, Naples) and the SITA bus to the Amalfi Coast towns.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Week Itinerary- thoughts? Need to finalize- Help!

August 14 is a Saturday *and* the day before Ferragosto, the biggest holiday in Italy and the day very many Italians start their holiday. I'd suggest you buy your reserved-seat ticket for Rome-Naples the day you arrive in Venice. In fact, it might be the one travel day in the year that I would consider paying RailEurope's surcharges to reserve in advance (since Trenitalia won't accept an American credit card).

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Week Itinerary- thoughts? Need to finalize- Help!

Great to know about the holiday, thank you! Sounds like we'll have a lot of fun in either Sorrento or Positano on the 15th! :)

4. Re: 2 Week Itinerary- thoughts? Need to finalize- Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 07:16