We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

My wife and I have never been to Italy and planning on spending 2 weeks there in late june early july. Any suggestion on what cities to hit. flights to sicily are around 1600.00 usd so thought about flying to paris for a day or so and then catch the overnight train to sicily and then work way south. Maybe fly out of another city back home? Trying to find options to save money on airfare. Should we rent a car? or stick to train and public transportation

Thanks for any advice

Iaccarino Sorrento Limousine Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
See Amalfi Coast
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Rome Chauffeur
Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

There is so much to see in Italy - I would not spend the time to fly to Paris and take the train to Sicily unless it saved a lot of money.

As far as where to go, you must buy a couple of good guide books and see what strikes your fancy. Just try to limit the number of places you go. In 14 days 3 to 4 places would be best.

Yes, flying open jaw into one city and out another works great.

Renting a car vs. public transportation depends on where you choose to go. If you choose the big 3 (Rome, Florence, Venice) then a car would be a hindrance. If you decide to go to smaller towns in Tuscany, you might want a car for that part of the trip. In most places the train is best, but not all.

All of Italy is wonderful, but you cannot see it all and everyone has their favorite. The goal is to find yours. Have fun deciding.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,904 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

Due to the time you have, travel by train would be best www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html is the Italian rail schedule for connections to all the major cities.

You can check on airfares Miami to Italy on a number of sites.

You will be travelling in the high season, so its important to secure your accommodation www.venere.com as soon as you have decided on the destinations you wish to visit.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 07:12
Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

what about heading to Milan or Rome instead of Paris and then book a low cost flight? check on:

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

Two weeks is wonderful, congratulations!...but why Paris? why Sicily? I'm not sure if I understand the needs or priorities for your trip, but we would think there is plenty to fascinate you in mainland Italy for many weeks. Think about flying into Rome, or Pisa, or Milan, or Venice, (and out of another one of those) depending on what you decide you need to see. I would think that going to Paris first to save a few hundred dollars might waste a lot of time, and make the trip longer.

As for what cities to "hit" - no one can say. There are many, many wonderful places to visit and things to see in Italy. You probably should buy a couple of guide books and start browsing to find a few things that look neat to both of you.

Just one specific idea for now: if you want to be in Rome, or Venice, or Florence in June-July, then plan to have hotel, or B&B reservations by end of April at the latest, and preferably sooner.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,885 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

If you can fly into one of the major Italian airports - Milan, Rome, Venice - then it should save time and expense unless you specifically wish to visit Paris as well.

There is a tremendous lot to see in Italy so you need to make up your mind in advance what interests you most. A good guide book is essential reading before you start your trip. Many Americans appear to like Rick Steve's guides but I have no experience of them. I find the single volume DK book "Italy" an excellent starter and the Time Out volumes on individual cities also very helpful with their good street maps.

Travel between the major cities is easy and relatively cheap by train. Cars are expensive by American standards and fuel prices are high. Moreover the city centres with their medieval street plans and widths can be a nightmare for the inexperienced and best avoided. See www.trenitalia.it for timetables but buy your train tickets when in Italy as the website does not accept cards issued outside Italy in payment.

Try to cut down on the travelling as much as possible as you will want to spend a great deal of time sightseeing wherever you go in Italy.

6. Re: 2 weeks in Italy from Houston,texas usa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 06:17