We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

Hi guys,

I'm a 34 year old male, travelling solo for the first time to EUROPE this April 13th-May 15th). All i have booked is my flight to and from Gatwick (London).

On the advice of some friends and Tripadvisor experts, I've decided to hold off on the EURO-RAIL pass (for now). I'm going to finalize my intinerary first, and then go from there. Alot of people are telling me that the one I had considered was WAY too expensive, and that the passes aren't as good of a deal anymore (i.e. This one was a Flight Centre 10 day Global rail pass for $980 CDN).

I'm starting to be a bit more realistic, and removed SPAIN/PORTUGAL. Basically i took a sample 5-6 week intinerary from Lonely Planet's EUROPE book, and modified it a bit. Here is my tentative itinerary:

LONDON

PARIS

FLORENCE

ROME

VENICE

SALZBURG (or VIENNA)

PRAGUE

BERLIN

AMSTERDAM

LONDON

I'm gone for a total of 28 days, travelling mostly by train (or flight if it makes more sense) and plan on spending a couple of days in each city . If things change, or i like a certain city more,I'll simply modify the remainder of the trip.

Does this look realistic/reasonable??? I really only plan to get a taste for the cities...and go back later for a deeper dive (if necessary)...

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

So what do you do if you get to Florence or Venice and then can not find any satisfactory accommodations? If you are willing to accept virtually any hotel or hostel, then your plan is good. But do not assume that you can stroll into any of those cities at any time and find an available more attractive place to stay.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

Thank you Roadgard! I've been trying to figure out how i should organize the accomodations/travel arrangements. A few other Tripadvisor experts have also suggested that I trim the list down even further, and focus on a few spots, instead of jamming a bunch in a short period of time.

I like their suggestion to focus on LON-PARIS-FLORENCE-ROME-AMSTERDAM-LONDON....Since it's my first time heading to Europe, it's good to have some frequent travellers bring me back down to reality once in a while! :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

Suggested itinerary pattern.

London www.visitlondon.com public transport information, travel pass types and routes www.tfl.gov.uk

London - Paris Train www.eurostar.com

Paris www.parisinfo.com

Paris - Pisa Fly www.easyjet.com Terravision bus Airport to Florence

Florence www.florenceeguide.com

Florence - Rome Train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Rome www.romeinfo.com

Rome - Amsterdam www.easyjet.com or Rome - Rotterdam www.transavia.com

Amsterdam www.amsterdam.info

Amsterdam - London www.easyjet.com

Accommodation www.venere.com www.wotif.com

Useful train site www.seat61.com

Edited: 09 March 2010, 00:58
La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

I would start from your furthest away point, and work your way back to London.

Fly London to Rome

Train Rome to Florence

Train Florence to Venice

Fly Venice to Paris

Train Paris to Amsterdam

Fly Amsterdam to London

You can find budget airlines on www.whichbudget.com

Easyjet flies from London to Rome, and Venice to Paris.

Here is another sample itinerary to contemplate:

ricksteves.com/plan/…eur22.htm

Be careful about using Ryanair. Often the names they give airport destinations are secondary airports very far from the named city.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

I'd suggest an open jaw ticket. Fly to London and depart from Rome. Do the rests by train. Hopefully you can still change your flight booking.

Suggested route:

London => Paris => Amsterdam => Berlin => Prague => Vienna => Venice => Florence => Rome.

Edited: 09 March 2010, 02:35
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

Thank you everyone! I'll check out the things you've suggested!

Man....it's unbelievable that I'm about a month away....WOW!

7. Re: Think this is possible?? (YES/NO)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 06:16