We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

Woodbury, MN
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

Ok, so we are renting a car for our trip in June. Driving a car in a foreign country, where we cant read the road signs and don't know where we are going is causing me some anxiety. Yet, I am so excited to see the parts of Italy that we wouldnt be able to see by train, that it is making the anxiety worth it! In order to reduce some anxiety I am trying to be as prepared as possible and know as much as I can before we go!! We are going to have a navagation system which I am sure will help a ton, especially getting out of Rome! Just not sure if we can depend on it in the heart of Tuscany?? Anyways, I've read that some roads are toll roads. Are they similar to what we have in the US? Are there seperate lanes for those that have correct change and then lanes with attendants if you need change back? How much are the tolls? What about gas stations. I've read that they are not always open during the day and that some places only take cash. Can anyone share some wisdom on what to expect?? Thanks so much!

Turin
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

Read this leaflet: autostrade.it/pdf/Welcome_Aspi_Network.pdf

On toll roads, gas stations are always open and accept credit cards.

On free roads they usually have at least 2 self service pumps open at night.

Relax, you're not going to the Gobi desert.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 21:12
NYC
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

Cruzingirl -

The Italy driving tips on www.accessitaly.com are spot on. They cover toll roads as well as a host of other motoring topics including parking and avoiding fines.

Tep

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

Self-service pumps in otherwise closed gas stations away from the autostrada do not always work with non-Italian credit cards. But they will take Euro bills.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,017 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

When accessing the Toll roads (the main Autostrada /Freeways) there is a ticket booth where you take your ticket (if not already available press the red button). You keep that until you exit the Autostrada where you will come to a pay booth. You can pay cash or use your credit card. Above each lane entering the pay area is a sign indicating what type of booth (picture of a man means you can pay a human being, credit card signs etc).. If using a non-human credit card booth you stick your toll card in then you will be asked to insert credit card.

As you have a Navi autostrada driving will be ok however I should point out that sometimes the overhead signs may not display the "direction" you wish to go despite your destination being somewhere along the way. Many main signposts may only indicate major destination point on the Autostrada.

As an example when driving to Rimini from Verona on trying to circumnavigate Bologna I have expected a sign indicating Rimini (thinking it was big enough or important enough to warrant some indication) - only Ancona (on the same road) was indicated. On returning I expected maybe Verona or Brennero - but only Milan

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

Hi,

Don't worry the autostradas are excellent and driving in Italy is heaps of fun. We found the freeways to be fabulous - heaps better than Australia. I love the way the Italians just make a tunnel instead off going around the mountain they just blast their way through it -

There are plenty of petrol stations which sell food / drinks / petrol etc.etc and all easily obtainable. There are tolls booths but they are also very easy to understand. Carry credit card and cash with you at all times ...saves any mistakes if you happen to get in the wrong lanes.

GPS is a excellent toy to have especially driving through the bigger cities. I also suggest you hire your car from the airports and using public transport in places like Rome / Milan / Florence etc,etc...

Picking up a car and dropping off a car from the airport is heaps easier as the autostrades all connect to it and your on our way before you know it.

EM.

6. Re: Driving in Italy - toll roads & more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 06:17