We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I making a mistake?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
322 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Am I making a mistake?

Please help.

We have traveled through Italy and spent a lot if time in Rome, Venice, Almalfi Coast , Positano and LOVED it all.

This year in mid September we are cruising from Athens and are considering the following:

Fly in from US to Milan. Go to the Lake Como area and explore there for 5 days, staying in Bellagio. We also would like to day trip to Switzerland from Lake Como.

We then would go back to MXP and fly to Athens.

I am at the point that I have to purchase airline tickets and want to be sure this is the right thing to do. I am VERY open to your suggestions.

Our objective is stunning beauty, romance, good food and peace. We are late 40s , love to travel and are active.

Thank you!

Edited: 03 April 2010, 13:59
Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I making a mistake?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "is this the right thing to do". What are your concerns? If this is what you want to do, and it's within your budget, then go for it. Lake Como is gorgeous.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
322 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I making a mistake?

I think that I am looking for answers if I should be considering a different area of Italy that I have not explored. Is 5 days too much time in Lake Como? Lake Como looks amazing, but being that I have never been to that region, I am unsure.

The two other areas that draw me are Capri and Cinque Terre......

Don't know if I will ever get back to Europe again, want this trip to be very special..........

Edited: 03 April 2010, 14:09
Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I making a mistake?

Ahh I see what you mean now. 5 days is a long time to focus just on Lake Como itself, but you can also visit switzerland as you mention as well as Milan so you can find some supplemental things to do besides just the lake towns. Maybe even a day trip to Bologna?

My feeling is Italy has so much to offer that, after you've been to Rome, Florence, and Venice you really can't go wrong where you go after that so if you want to see Lake Como be happy with that choice and enjoy your trip!

UK
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I making a mistake?

I think the contrast of 5 days in the Lakes region plus the opportunity to see the beautiful mountain scenery of Switzerland would make an ideal contrast to your hectic few days in Athens, followed by a cruise. As you've already visited the Amalfitana I'd stick with your current plan.

5. Re: Am I making a mistake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2010, 06:19