We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging USD for Euro

usa
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Exchanging USD for Euro

Where is the best deal for exchanging dollars for euros. We are leaving New York City and arriving in Venice. Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging USD for Euro

There are only bad deals for exchanging US dollars for Euros. Buy a few Euros at a bank in the US to get you started and use a debit card to get Euros from ATMs.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,208 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging USD for Euro

Be sure to call the number on the back of the card to let them know when you'll be out of the country and to check on your withdrawal balance. If not they may allow you to withdraw only $50 worth of Euros at a time, or they may not allow transactions.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging USD for Euro

Bancomats in Italy don't have a charge, my bank card (atm) in Ocean City charges me $1.00 for using an "outside atm" & no % for conversion.

My limit for withdrawal per day is $300 dollars, so I can only withdrawal 200 Euro (+/-) per day (depends on exchange). I opened another account at another bank, so worse case - I have a back up bank for 200 Euro per day.

To my knowledge Capitol One credit card is the only one that does not charge a 3-4% conversion charge for purchases.

Definately call your credit cards and let them know you'll be out of the country, I've never had a problem with my bank cards. Look on the back of your bank card for the 'logos' and use an atm displaying the same logos.

usa
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging USD for Euro

Thanks for all the info. I did check with my bank and they upped the amount I could withdraw from any atm machine for any given day.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging USD for Euro

Buon viaggio and enjoy Venice goblue91 -- gorgeous island/city. Do look at your guide books, there is so much to experience.

Lido was an experience for me as I live in a seasonal, resort beach community and to see the "t-shirt shops" with an Italian flair was fun. The gelato displays are so much more 'artistic' than Rome I took pics. On the vaporettos looking at the palazzos.........the history ahhhh -- must go back:o))

Edited: 05 April 2010, 01:47
McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging USD for Euro

Also check with your bank about charges. My bank has a deal that if I keep an X amount in balance for a month then all ATM charges are waived.

I think Capital One checking also has this deal.

It can save a you a lot of money.

7. Re: Exchanging USD for Euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2010, 06:22