We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Topic
Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

I happened to have applied for schengen visa from the German embassy. At first I intended to visit Germany. However, due to the volcanic eruption, my Germany trip was cancelled.

Can I enter Italy with this visa?

This means I'm not going into Germany for the rest of duration of visa.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,429 Reviews
from US$83.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,890 Reviews
from US$113.20*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from US$61.10*
US$67.90
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

AT the top right there is "Top Questions about Italy", just below is FAQ about visas.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

Hi!

A Schengen VISA is for generally unrestricted travel in all the Schengen states and entry can be made in any of the Schengen states. Having said that, the passport control is the final authority at the point of entry.

Normally there is no problem with this as one does not really volunteer information like "I'm not going into Germany".

Sundeep

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

A Schengen visa is valid for all member countries upto 90 days upon entry, to those travelling as tourists or on business.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

Actually, in researching something recently, I found that if you have applied for a visa entry to a Schengen country you must enter the Schengen states through that country. I did not bookmark the entry though. So, as always with matters of law, check with the appropriate authorities.

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

Thanks !

The thing I'm worrying is if they are going to allow me to enter Italy.

Actually this does not worry me much because given that I will be going to Germany later (or not) I should be allowed to enter.

The actual thing that worries me is that next time if I apply for another schengen visa would they question about my German visa and the fact that I never actually entered Germany

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

>>The actual thing that worries me is that next time if I apply for another schengen visa would they question about my German visa and the fact that I never actually entered Germany<<

There will be nothing to show that you did not enter Germany. There are no passport controls between the Schengen states, so you do not get a stamp on your passport when you travel between them.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

This information may be helpful

<<If you will visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa through the embassy or consulate of the country which is your main destination·

If you will visit several countries but do not have a main destination, you must apply for a visa through the embassy or consulate of the country which is your first point of entry. >>

I don't think anyone will worry that you NEVER entered Germany as people have change of travel plans all the time. The problem may come when you turn up at Italy with a visa for Germany. They may refuse you entry.

That is why the best thing to do is contact the Italian consulate or embassy.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,070 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

Theorettically as intimated above if Germany remains your main destination (whether or not you require proof of the matter is another thing) then entry via Italy shouldn't be a problem. But that is just a theory and don't believe everything you read. This cross-border question came up recently for some-one from Asia I think wanting to visit Switzerland from Italy and the many non-EU people were quick to state the Schengen agreement rules - unfortunately what they don't know is there is a caveat that the Swissers retain the right to be a right pain in the proverbial , border crossings are still manned and they continue to do passport checks at various points of entry and take great delight in delaying people whilst they "pretend" to do passport checks (Non Swiss vehicles are a main target).

The Germans are extremely bureaucratic and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that if your situation was the other way round that you would be "interrogated" as to why you were entering Germany from outside the EU with an Italian sourced Schengen Visa.

I would have hoped that you wouldn't encounter nothing more than a couple of questions - But bureaucrats are bureaucrats.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
9. Re: Can I enter Italy with german schengen visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 06:20