We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia frustration! Won't let me buy ticket online.

Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trenitalia frustration! Won't let me buy ticket online.

Hopefully someone here can help me.

I've tried to book tickets on the trenitalia website for a Rome to Naples trip on Intercity for next week. Once I select the tickets and enter my credit card information, I get "The payment has been denied". I called my credit card company and they assured me there was no problem with my card. I even asked my travel partner to try booking with her card and she got the same message.

Are we doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,051 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,844 reviews
from US$125.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,731 reviews
from US$113.70*
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenitalia frustration! Won't let me buy ticket online.

It is a common problem for those outside of Italy.

Buy your ticket in Italy, it's very easy to do at any self-service ticket machine at Termini.

Your credit card will work at those machines!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,097 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia frustration! Won't let me buy ticket online.

The Trenitalia web site is renowned for not accepting credit cards issued outside Europe. There is nothing that can be done about this.

There are many trains from Rome to Naples, and they will not sell out. Buy your tickets in Italy, at any mainline station (staffed ticket office, or machines that work in English) or at a travel agent that displays the Trenitalia logo. Your card will work in Italy.

Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenitalia frustration! Won't let me buy ticket online.

Thank you so much for your replies! I'm relieved to hear that I probably won't have a problem buying my tickets in Rome. I was a little nervous since there are 7 of us travelling on the train and we have a driver waiting for us in Naples so I want to make sure that we'll all be able to get on the same train!

Thanks again.

4. Re: Trenitalia frustration! Won't let me buy ticket online.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 06:29