We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
210 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

I know it sounds nuts, and perhaps we are, but so far this is our tentative itinerary. Using London as the entry point as cheapest way to go into Europe. Figure, why not take train to Paris before enjoying Italy. Having never been to Europe, and not sure when we will be back, wanted to hit several places (but with more then one day there. With that said, open to feedback:

1 London (arrive PM)

2 London

3 London - Paris (train 2.5 hrs)

4 Paris

5 Paris-Florence (fly 2.5 hrs)

6 Florence

7 Florence

8 Florence-Naples/Sorrento (trains ~6hrs)

9 Sorrento

10 Sorrento

11 Rome

12 Rome

13 Rome (depart AM)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
659 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

I don't think it's nuts, especially if you've never been to Europe and don't know when you'll be back! I've been to all the places on the list except Sorrento, so can't comment on that, but my feedback is to give yourself one day more in Paris. You'll be really rushed trying to see it in only a day or day and a half. Maybe add another day or cut back somewhere else?

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

Thank you Molly! On another board people think we are nuts, but what is nuts is that we were suppose to be going to Thailand this summer but with all that is going on there we had to make a switch so Europe it is!

Any favorite things to do in any of the places you have been?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

I don't think its nuts!!! People have told me my itinerary will be rushed, but like you I've never been to Europe & wanted to see as much as possible. Other TA memebers recommend MIN 3 nights in each place, but again its a personal choice. We've decided Amsterdam 3 nites, Rome 3 nights, Venice 2 nites, Florence 2 nites, Tuscany (hiring car) 2 nites, CT 2 nights, Nice 3 nights, Paris 1 nite fly home.

Yes some parts maybe be rushed, but i'm sooo looking forward to it!!! I'm young, excited & so can't wait. I've researched train times & printed out timetable to take with me, places to see, accomoddation is booked & just have to finalise which tours I'm going to pre-book, so now I just have 16 more sleeps till I fly out (i'm not counting or anything tehehehe)

When are you going? I'd get a wrigggle on booking your accomodation if your going in Summer, I booked my accomodation in Feb and alot of places were booking out already for june.

I can't recommend them, but these are the budget hotels with private bathroom we have booked in Rome & Florence

Rome - www.erdarelliromehotel.com (100 euro)

Florence - www.plusflorence.com (this is a hostel but very modern & we've got private room with own bathroom for 60 euro p/nite)

Have fun and enjoy your trip!!!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

Its not "nuts" and I understand your desire to squeeze in as much as you can. Yours is a very busy itinerary with five cities in (effectively) 11 days with lots of travelling in between. You will get a taste of the places you'll visit.

Bear in mind that you will "lose" a MINIMUM of half of each day that you are travelling, even if your flight/train only takes 2.5 hours. By the time you check out of your hotel, travel to station/airport, complete your travel and transfer to your next hotel - its just how it is. Unless your train to Naples is a night train then you will "lose" almost all of day 8. I don't wish to be negative, simply to point out that you will spend 2-3 of your 11 days travelling.

So you have one day each in London and Paris and two days each in Florence, Sorrento and Rome.

In my opinion you will enjoy your holiday more if you choose less places and more time in each of them (I'd probably cut out either London or Paris because one day in either isn't enough time). I have been travelling in Europe for many years and admittedly its taken me a while to get the right balance. You will enjoy your holiday a whole lot more if you aren't in and out of hotels every night or second night.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

I'm going to go against the grain here. I think you are doing too much. Consider that each time you move to another city your day will be shot. Checking out, travel, checking into hotels etc. Really you waste a whole day and you'll be bagged on top of that. You think you'll see lots when in actual fact it will be just a blur. Take time to smell the roses.

Garden Grove, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

From past experience last Spring I was exhausted by the 3rd City visited.

(We did the East Coast tour - Philadelphia, Washington D.C., then New York in 1 week). I foudn myself disinterested at tourist sites in NY because I was all museumed out and exhausted from the other cities.

My opinion: narrow down to either 4 or 5 cities you want to visit. It's ultimately up to what You want to do and experience.

Initially I wanted to do London, Paris, Venice, Florence, and Rome but dropped Florence to have an extra day in Rome and not deal with the rush. Well, actually it's kind of personal choice because there is so much to do in Rome. If we run out of things to do we can also do a day trip somewhere (have not researched yet, eeek!!). I'd like to mention my pain and suffereing trying to figure what the transporation in between the cities as well as the transportation to and from hotel from the train station / airport... It ($$ and time) adds up and you have to be very meticulous to make it all work the way you want it to work...

Anyway, here's my itinerary for May 14-May 30 (15 nights total) to give you an idea.

Italy Experts - please give suggestions for Venice and Rome. I think I should start another post... But already typed up so here you go -

GreenEarth714's Europe Itineary for a 14 days Taste of Europe. May 14-

1. London - arrive in afternoon at Paddington station, dinner, walk around Hyde Park

2 London - Hop on Hop Off tour bus, Thames River Cruise

3. London - More tourist stuff first half of day, 2nd half - visit Wimbledon museum of Tennis and go to a Dog Race at Wimbledon track (this gives us a chance to venture away from the hustle and bustle of inner cities and as well experience something Brits do that we don't). in a way I like to experience a different culture rather than taking photos of places I've already seen in books.

4. London - Open as of now, but perhaps Fat Tire Bike Tour or shopping

5. Paris - Fat Tire Bike Tour / night

6. Paris - Louvre, Eiffel Tower dinner,

7. Paris - Undecided; picnic at the park near Eiffel Tower.

8. Venice

9. Venice

10. Venice

11. Rome - Hop on Hop Off Bus

12. Rome - Walking Tour; hang out at one of the famous fountains

13. Rome - Vatican all day

14. Rome -

15. Rome - ?

Garden Grove, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

i apologize to everyone for my lenghthy post. =(

Missouri
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

We are also working on our itinerary and have read many post about slowing down and not rushing things. I like to be on the go (see it all) and hubby prefers to take it a bit slower. We have moved from place to place on other trips and as previous posts have said, parts have become a blurr. I would read some of the trip reports. The best ones seem to be those that did not rush. Just a thought.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

Face it, you are NOT going to see everything anyway! If you want the highlights, then go for the highlights. People told us 3 days in Venice wasn't enough. It was fine for me, I saw the highlights and then some, and that was enough for me this visit.

We did London and Paris a couple of years ago. Your best bet is to go to a bookstore and look thru some guidebooks to see what is interesting to you. That is what you need to focus on. We did enjoy the Hop on Hop off bus in London, saw everything, could get off and check things out. It did take an entire day and we still did no 'see' everything (like inside certain places), but if you want an overview, there you go.

I am not sure of why you are going to Sorrento, but if it were me, I would take one of those days out and add it to Paris. 3 days in Florence is good, and 3 days in Rome is okay, but as you already know, you will be pushing it.

10. Re: London/Paris/Italy Itinerary - feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 07:17