We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from FCO Airport to Florence

east brunswick, nj
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
train from FCO Airport to Florence

Hi all,

I've heard nightmares about finding the right train if you don't speak Italian. We are flying into Rome next week and then going straight to Florence. Can anyone direct me to the right tracks. I know I have to take one train from the airport to the main station and then get on the fast train to Florence. I just don't want to screw up and wind up going the wrong direction. Also, can you buy tickets there and pay with a credit card. Thanks in advance for any guidance out there.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from FCO Airport to Florence

It's not really that bad. : )

you can take the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini and then the train to Florence. You can buy your tickets at a self service machine at the airport. It's very easy to do and there are English instructions, credit cards will work.

The Leonard Express platform is well marked, just validate your ticket before you board, (you will see other people doing so at small yellow machines on the train platform)

they depart every 6 minutes and 36 min past every hour from 6:36 am until 11:36 pm, travel time is 30 minutes.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

From Rome's Termini station to Florence Santa Maria Novella (FL SMN) takes 1 hour 36 minutes on the fastest train and 2nd class is fine. The train platform will most likely not be announced until about 10 minutes or so before departure. You do not need to validate a fast train ticket because you will have an assigned seat.

here's a link to the schedule to get an idea of frequency and cost of trains from Rome to Florence, use a date a few days in the future, the schedule will go through some updating mid-June

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from FCO Airport to Florence

At Termini you will find that there are departure screens, much like at airports. They are headed "Partenzi", and show departure time, train number (which is also on your ticket), final destination (which might be beyond where you get off), and the platform (binario) that will ne used.

I don't know where you have heard about these nightmares: there have not been complaints of problems here at TA.

3. Re: train from FCO Airport to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 07:16