We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail Italy Pass

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Eurail Italy Pass

Can anyone help me with info on the Eurail Italy Pass? My husband and I will be traveling from city to city using the 3 day travel in one months time in Italy and this pass looks like the way to go. I'm just confused as to how this works. Can I use this pass to board the fast Eurostar trains? Also, how does this pass allow me to make reservations because I read that Eurostar requires reservations and we will already have the pass when it is mailed to us. Please help i'm really confused as to what trains I can ride with this pass and how to make a reservation once i buy the pass. thank you.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

Point to point tickets are usually cheaper than a pass. I would go to Trenitalia to input some train times to get an idea of cost. If you only plan on taking the train on three different days, chances are it will be less expensive to buy tickets for those trains then the pass.

If you use a pass, you must make a reservation for any train except the regional trains. The reservation will cost an extra 5-10 euro per ticket.

Rick Steves explains the Italy Eurail pass at this link

http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/italy.cfm

hope this helps!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

I would not buy the pass. Generally it has been noted in many posts that a pass is much more expensive than buying point to point tickets in Italy. The reservations are not included in price of the pass so that needs to be purchased and the seat reserved before you board the train. Please reconsider. Check out the trenitalia web site to get pricing and times of trains.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

I would suggest a point to point ticket if you can cancel the pass... do your research on the schedules before you leave for your trip... the day you arrive to your first destination, with your point to point destination in hand, purchase all your train tickets. In this manner, you are guaranteed the train for the time you want, and you don't have to arrive well before the departure time - 10 to 15 minutes is sufficient. No time wasted and you've paid for only those desination and dates that work for you. Have a wonderful time!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

Thank you so much for the info, we did not purchase the pass yet so we won't!! Ok, we fly into Venice and then we leave from Venice by train to Florence, then to Rome and then to Naples by train. So we should wait until we get to Italy and leave from Venice to buy all of our train tickets all at once? Or should we buy our tickets as we get to each destination? Are the lines bad for buying tickets at the stations in July? Do you think if we wait for each destination we might not be able to get on the train we would like?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

HI there, purchase them all in Venice if that is your first stop... the lines at the train stations are long and you don't want to have to spend vacation time in a dank train station, or waiting for a train. Like our stations in Toronto and NY, these are commuter, local, regional trains so there are students, biz-travelers, and tourists all over the place.

So if you arrive at 8am at the station for your next destination but find that the next train doesn't leave for 2 hours, you'll have wasted your time. If you have your date and route ahead of time, you'll spend about 20 minutes on your first day purchasing all of them and don't have to bother again. You will then know the time your train leaves and won't have to arrive well ahead of time to purchase the ticket or wait in line. Check trentitalia for your scheduling. I did this ahead of time and it was much better to spend 2 hours back home routing this out, and I spent no wasted time at any of the stations. You'll be doing a fairly straighforward route so it'll be easy for you.

Naples - are you going to Amalfi coast?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

There is not much point in purchasing the tickets all at once. There is no discount for purchasing ahead. if you miss the train you have to wait in line to get another ticket issued. In Rome and Naples I used the self-serve ticket machines and jsut purchased a ticket on the next train leaving for my destination. There is no line at the machines and they take credit cards and have an English option. I have on occasion bought a ticket on a train that was leaving inn the next 15 min using the ticket machines. Trains between Rome and Naples leave nearly hourly, if you don't mind paying more for the express trains. The IC and regional trains are cheaper sometimes by a whole lot. Naples Express train cost 38 euros and takes 70 min. The IC naples train takes 2 hours and costs about 22 euro.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

Thanks for the info. We don't mind paying extra for the express trains, we really want to spend the least amount of time traveling as possible. Yes, we are going to the almafi coast. We are taking the ferry from Naples to Capri for 4 nights, and then the ferry from Capri to Positano for 3 nights, and then we are flying out of Naples to get back to NY. We will probably just take a cab from Positano to the Naples airport, even though that is pricey, I don't think we have any other option from getting from Positano to Naples. I think taking a ferry from Positano to Naples and then to get to the airport from the ferry will be too time comsuming and stressfull for our last day in Italy. Thank you so much for all of the info. any suggestions?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

another question: Do the ticket machines let you purchase tickets for dates a few days/week ahead of time?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

For Amalfi, I would also suggest you ferry into Sorrento, for music and art, take in Ravello. Another great beach area is Praiano, but if you want some wonderful coastal views and want to trek for a couple of hours, walk along the coastal mountain from Praiano to Conca di Marini where you'll find the Emerald Grotto (the Blue is located in Capri). If you plan on going to Pompeii, do it in the morning because it is exceptionally dry in that area, and for the full 79AD experience, bus to Paestum and Ercolano, then walk up Mt Vesuvius (only about 450 meters from the top).

Not sure if your intention is lazy, hazy days, sights with organized groups, or treks on your own - this is an easy area to explore on your own with your husband. Pick up the bus and ferry schedule before you get on the ferry.

For express trains, those tend to be the first and second out in the morning (biz travellers) less stops between cities, and is why I recommend you purchase those tickets ahead of time, so that you are guaranteed on the train you want.

Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Eurail Italy Pass

Hi, I'm planning to go Italy in December. Haven really firm up the itenary. Probably be travelling on 3-4 days only. Does the Eurail pass for Italy allow travelling on buses and local transport in italy?