We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why don't we pronounce Italian cities liek the Italians?

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why don't we pronounce Italian cities liek the Italians?

Question to all Italian experts: why is it that Italian cities all have anglised names outside of Italy and not the real Italian ones? I.e. Florence instead of Firenze, Venice for Venezia, Genoa for Genova, and then easy ones such as Roma, Napoli, Torino, Milano etc. I can think of no other country in Western Europe where there is a dual naming system. I can only think that perhaps because Italy was only a unified 150 years ago, and it was very popular with tourists throughout the ages, that the names became bastardised, or one could say simplified. Any ideas?

West Sussex
Level Contributor
242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why don't we pronounce Italian cities liek the Italians?

You're largely right, but there are a few others. Lisbon, for example, is actually Lisboa; Porto is, correctly, Oporto. We English don't pronounce Paris corectly, although the spelling is the same. The place (and battlefield) we call Agincourt is really Azincourt. We put the wrong stress on the second syllable of Dordogne, making it sound like a bedspring. The island we know as Corfu is not called that in Greece (Kerkyra?).

It's probably because, as a generalisation, we're simply not good at languages and it's true that Italy has suffered more than most in this respect. It's a pity because the Italian language is so beautiful. But we're not alone - why do the French call London "Londres", England "Angleterre" and why do the Italians refer to Parigi, not Paris? I could go on...