We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in North Italy in July - should we book in advance?

Bristol UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camping in North Italy in July - should we book in advance?

Hi My boyfriend and I are going camping in Northern Italy in July. We've booked the flights and hired a car but haven't yet booked any campsites. We're thinking of going to Lake Garda Florece Pisa Tuscany then Rome. Spending a few days in each place. We've never been to Italy before so don't know if we HAVE to book in advance or if we can just turn up on the day and book a pitch for the night.

Any advice would be very gratefully received as I'm worried we'll be sleeping in the car every night!

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in North Italy in July - should we book in advance?

In summer, it's always preferable to book in advance... it's not pleasant sleeping in a car in the heat. It depends what sort of quality campsite you're looking for too. Bear in mind, that the better campsites are booked by Italians for a month at a time in the summer - July and August - so your options are fewer anyway. The better campsites are also the ones used by organisations such as Canvas Holidays and Eurocamp - who book their pitches for the whole season - including spring and autumn. I know you're young, but do you really want to camp somewhere with poor facilities ? And you can only take so many nights in a car.... in the summer heat - even Northern Italy is hot then. Also, so many people (English, Dutch, German etc. northern Europeans) go to the lakes on their way over to Italy, as well as those who wish to stay there for the full holiday - that I really think you'd be taking a risk if you don't book. Work out your itinerary - don't drive too far in one day - no fun just driving in the heat. Book your outline holiday, and then when you're there, if there's any spare capacity at the sites, you'll be able to 'tweak' it so that you can change your plans if you wish. .

2. Re: Camping in North Italy in July - should we book in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 07:32