We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Venice and Florence

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One week in Venice and Florence

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Italy in the last week of August. I want to visit Venice and Florence, with perhaps a little side-trip to San Gimignano. I'm also planning on booking a tour with the 500 Touring Club.

I'll be arriving on the 21st of August at the Milano Malpensa Airport. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 12.50 pm and I'll be going directly to Venice. By my calculations I won't be arriving in Venice before 6 pm so most of the first day will be wasted travelling.

My return flight is scheduled to leave at 6 pm on the 29th (also at Malpensa), which means most of that day will also be wasted travelling.

I'll be in Italy for a total of 8 nights, but I'm having a hard time deciding how many nights to spend in Venice and how many nights to spend in Florence. At the moment I'm thinking that perhaps spending 4 nights in each city would be my best option, but I'd like to get some input from people who've already visited those two cities.

I like to visit the typical tourist attractions, like monuments and museums, but I also like to stroll around, get off the beaten track and lose myself in the city.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

Train travel Milan - Venice www.turismovenezia.it Venice - Florence www.discovertuscany Florence - Milan www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Having such minimum time, two days in Venice and the remainder in Florence

The Trenitalia schedule will give you times for visiting Pisa and Lucca, and the www.Sitabus.it to visit Siena and San Gimignano.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 01:46
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,846 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

Personally I would up the time in Venice 2 day's is barely enough,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,410 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

Venice: 2-3 days

Florence: All remaining days, you can then go on day trips to San Gim and Siena

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

Actually, I have no intention of visiting Siena or Pisa. The only side-trip I'm planning on taking is to San Gimignano. I want to spend the rest of my time exploring Florence.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 12:45
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

I would split the time evenly. There is so much to see in both Florence and Venice. Although part of Venice's charm is to not have a set itinerary and just walk around, there are a wealth of things to do also. Maybe if after reading a guidebook and seeing what things interest you and setting a loose itinerary for each city and then deciding what is on your must see list - that may be able to help you decide. Either way, both cities are a treasure trove of incredible things to see and experience!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

Spending 4 nights at each destination will give me a little more than 3 1/2 days to visit each city, so I'm guessing that's what I'll do, particularly considering the advice given to me here.

I'd like to know one more thing. Should I book my train seats online or can I buy them right before getting on the train? I'm afraid my plane might get late and l'll lose the train (and my money) because of it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

I'd spend 6 nights in Venice and the rest in Tuscany. I don't care for Florence, and I get enough Renaissance art and architecture in Venice. But it is a matter of personal interest and preference.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

You can wait to buy your train tickets all at once when you're in Italy. There's no need to buy them beforehand.

9. Re: One week in Venice and Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 05:18