We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

New jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

My wife and I are still trying to finalize our itinerary for a 10 or 11 nt trip to Italy in Sept.

Our original itinerary was as follows:

4 nts Rome (day trip to Florence if time allowed

3 nts Positano

3 nts Venice (fly from Naples to Venice)

After speaking with relatives recently...they all seemed to have a this itinerary....Fly into Florence (one stop Rome), then train to Rome, then train to Positano. They all seemed to skip Venice.

I always wanted to see Venice, but their trip did flow nicely, and I understand there is more to do in Florence than Venice. I was told by numerous people, you only need 1 1/2 - 2 days in Venice. I wasn't sure if it was worth sticking to my original itinerary...or do theirs and skip Venice.

I had thought about doing all 4 cities...Fly into Venice - 2 nts, train to Florence - 2 nts, Rome - 3nts, Positano - 3 nts. But that seems to be a lot of traveliing, and taxi's, and checking in an out of hotels.

Any comments/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

I like your itinerary. If art is very, very important to you, then Florence is a must. Your itinerary leans towards history and natural beauty - my preferences also.

3 nights in Venice is not too long and Venice is wonderful. If you've always wanted to go there, then please do it.

I agree that trying to stay all 4 places is way too much. You did a good job planning.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
New jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

Great, thanks so much....I appreciate it.

New jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

It's been a difficult decsion......although we aren't art fanatics, we heard Florence was a beautiful city, with great architecture, great food, and a lot to do.

It's also geographically in a good location.

I guess we'll have to decide really soon.

Any other comments/ suggestions are greatly appreciated. Especially, someone who has been both to Venice and Florence. Is Venice worth having to fly to from Naples (or train from Venice to Rome if we start in Venice).

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
884 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

Yes, Venice is worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,459 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

I would ordinarily stay in one geographic area of Italy.

I don't see the point of going from Positano to Venice BUT I ADORE Venice so if that is the way you are going to get there then OK.

Folks that say,"You can see Venice in 1 1/2 days" ,don't "get" Venice.

Each area of the city has something for visitors. Those that stay a short time only go to San Marco Square and miss all the rest.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
590 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

Well, you've heard from the Venice lovers so here's a different perspective. Venice was my least favorite place in Italy. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as magical as other places I've been. So, for our trip this year, I am ditching my travel companions when they head to Venice and I'll be heading to Florence on my own. I have never met anyone who hasn't raved about Florence and I've never been so it's an easy choice for me. Interestingly, I've met lots of people who share my view of Venice.

Good luck with your planning!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

I've just come back from my OS adventure a few days ago

My trip was Amsterdam - Rome - Venice - Florence - Tuscany - Vernazza - Nice - Paris

Loved every minute of my travels. Adored Venice it was my FAVORITE PLACE!!!!!!!! Then comes Tuscany & Vernazza tied for 2nd.....Florence is a beautiful city but I really wished I had chopped one nite off my florence & adding it onto Tuscany or Venice.....

Good Luck planning, & Enjoy your trip :-)

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,003 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Florence
Florence
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

"Well, you've heard from the Venice lovers so here's a different perspective. Venice was my least favorite place in Italy. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as magical as other places I've been. So, for our trip this year, I am ditching my travel companions when they head to Venice and I'll be heading to Florence on my own. I have never met anyone who hasn't raved about Florence and I've never been so it's an easy choice for me. Interestingly, I've met lots of people who share my view of Venice."

While perhaps not my least favorite of all the cities I have visited in Italy, Venice is definitely a city I have never felt an affection for - 6 visits over about 35 years. I have returned only when traveling with friends or family that have never been to Italy and have Venice on their must see list. Next time, I will do as you are and let them go on their own as Venice simply does not enchant me as do so many other places in Italy and I do not choose to waste my precious time and money.

I do enjoy Florence much more than Venice though not as much as I did before it became so very busy. I like to go in the off season and generally stay a bit outside of the tourist center.

Edited: 23 June 2010, 13:38
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Italy
Italy
Europe
New jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

Thanks to all for your replies....I will digest all of your comments.

It is greatly appreciated.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy Itinerary - Please Help!

Here is another possibility that might work:

Fly in and out of Rome. On arrival, go straight to Florence by train. (I think this is better than flying there, unless you get a really good connection.)

Stay four nights in Florence, and while there, take a day trip to Venice. This way, you'll get an idea of whether you love it or hate it, and can come back in the future for a longer stay if the former.

Go by train and bus to Positano, stay three nights.

Bus or boat/Train to Rome, stay four nights.

This is for an 11-night visit. If you decide on 10 nights, you could cut one day from either Florence or Rome, depending on your interests. Rome is bigger than Florence, but you would be taking one day from Florence to visit Venice. It would depend on how interested you are in ancient history or Renaissance art. My personal preference would be to maximize the time in Rome, because September is the very height of the high season in Florence, and I find the crowds nearly unbearable. Rome is crowded, too, but being much bigger, they're spread out more.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Positano
Positano