We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

My husband and I are planning a driving tour in Sept./Oct of this year. We had originally considered Sicily, but friends are trying to talk us into doing Tuscany & Umbria instead. We have been briefly to Tuscany on a tour years ago. We like to explore countryside, small towns, etc., as well as the usual must-see sights. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

cruiseph,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,683 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

we spend 2 weeks driving around western sicily in feb 2010 and had a great time. Sicily is very beautiful. If you are driving you should stay in smaller towns where you lodging has parking. palermo would not be a good choice for a driving vacation. We stayed in Castellamare del Golfo in western sicily becaseu both my grandaprents were fron western Sicily. We visited Erice, Segesta, Selinunte, Agrigento, Zingara Nature Preserve, Marsal, Mozia, and Trapani. The autostrada gives one good access to most places in Sicily.

Sicly is jsut naturally beautifuls

Castellammare del golfo part

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

view fron Segesta

Selinunte

Agrigento

Eastern Sicly has some great sights also, Etna, Taormina , Syracusa, Ragusa, Cefalu.

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

in two weeks you may enjoy the less known north of tuscany, around pisa and lucca (one week, having daytrips to florence and CT too) and the south and umbria (one week there, visiting siena, montepulciano, tuscan hills and the ubrian region)...what kind of accomodation are you looking for??

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,683 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

We rented an automatic car from Autoeurope UK for about 460 British pounds which was about $700 for 2 weeks. The UK site was a lot cheaper than the autoeurope US site. We pciked it upp from the palermo ariprot when we arrived.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

Thought...if you choose to cruise Tuscany and Umbria, don't miss Spoleto. It's a gem of a hill town that represents Umbria to a tee. We were there in May for 5 days and we couldn't have been happier! Stayed at the Palazzo Dragoni and loved it, and ate many times at an incredible restaurant...Il Tempio del Gusto. Then again...I long to revisit Taormina again...but that is another story! Have a great trip...planning it is almost as fun as being there!

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

Thank you for your reply. I think we definitely will try Sicily for this trip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,626 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

September-October is a lovely time to visit Sicily cruiseph - You would be able to explore the countryside and small towns, and Sicily boasts phenomenal historical sites!

Enjoy these online guidebooks....

Sicily:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sicily/

fodors.com/world/…listings_nam_20001.html

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/sicily

http://traveldk.com/sicily

letsgo.com/57-italy-travel-guides-sicily-d

roughguides.com/website/…

And these photos may help you decide where you would like to visit:

trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Italy/Sicily/

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

We have decided on Sicily and this is our proposed itinerery.

3 Nights in Cefalu

2 Nights in Taormina

2 Nights in Siracusa

1 Night in Ragusa or Modica

1 Night in Agrigento

1 Night in Erice

2 Nights outside of Palermo

We have one additional night. Do you have any suggestions for where to spend this night, or any thoughts on altering this schedule.

Hope to get to Piazza Armerina between Ragusa and Agrigento,

We are planning to stay in a Farm outside of Syracuse. Our other option is to stay in Ortygia, but we are concerned about parking, as we will have a car.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,626 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

Ciao cruiseph,

Why have you allocated 3 nights for Cefalù? Other destinations have far more to see and do.

You might visit Noto en route to Modica or Ragusa, and you might appreciate another night in Modica-Ragusa.

Hopefully the restorations will be completed at the Villa Romana del Casale by September-October – Currently hours are limited and there are few rooms open for viewing.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g580232-d7…

Check this thread for updates - #43 is the latest update:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2170…

Also consider that Piazza Armerina is a considerable detour between Ragusa and Agrigento.

<<2 Nights outside of Palermo>>

Where were you thinking? Why? To visit Palermo or Western Sicily?

If you were to leave the 3 nights in Cefalù (jet-lag recovery?), use your additional night in Modica-Ragusa.

If you were to cut a night from Cefalù (3 nights down to 2 nights), add a night to Siracusa. Use your additional night in Modica-Ragusa.

See Noto as a day trip from Siracusa if you plan 3 nights in Siracusa, or see Noto on your way from Siracusa to Modica-Ragusa.

Consolidate your 3 nights in one destination in Western Sicily – Visit Selinunte, Segesta and Erice.

You could also use that additional night around Selinunte.

Stay at an agriturismo around Agrigento - Azienda Mandranova, Ciuci's Manor....

There will be no problem staying on Ortigia with a car – Some hotels offer parking, but there is easy parking on Ortigia at Talete.

Should we stay in Ortygia Sicily or outside of Siracusa:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k337…

Of course if you intend to visit Palermo, this will require a revision.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria v Sicily

Thank you for your suggestions. I have read so many of your posts, and have learned so much, but my head is spinning!

I was afraid 3 nights in Cefalu may be too many. We will change it to 2 nights. Part of our original reason for 3 nights was to recover a little from jet-lag, but we don’t want to lose time we would want to spend elsewhere.

Syracuse - Still cannot decide on outside venue (possibly Case Damma) or Ortygia (possibly La Corte Degli Angeli). Is there enough to see here to spend 3 nights? We like the idea of the countryside, but will we want to spend most of our time between Syracuse and Ortygia and find it more convenient to be closer to town?

We plan to visit Noto on the way to Ragusa. Considering staying at Hotel Relais Parco Cavalonga in Ragusa or L’Orangerie in Modica. You suggested we may want to spend another day in the area. Would you have a preference to either of these locations?

If we are able to visit Piazza Armerina., where would we include this in our itinerary? Is it worth going out of our way to see it?

Agrigento - Looked at reviews for Colleverde Park Hotel, which sounded interesting. Closer to the city than we had intended, but possible to view the ruins in daylight and lit up at night. Ciucis Land wants minimum of 2 night stay. We had previously considered B&B Tra I Frutti, which got good reviews. Any thoughts? I have read posts that say it is not necessary to spend too much time in this area, if you are doing other ruins, especially Syracuse.

Do you mean consolidating tour of Selinute, Segesta and Erice into l day. If so, where to you think would be best place to stay?

We were planning to stay in a B&B (Home From Home in Bolegnetta for the last two nights and spending one day in Palermo and Monreale. Do you think this makes sense, or we would be better to spend the two nights in Palermo? We are not crazy about cities, which is why we are only planning to visit for one day, but I realize there is a lot to see in this city.

Hopefully there will be enough time in this itenerary to get off the beaten track. Are there any smaller routes you can suggest other than the main highway to get to any of these locations?

Thanks again for your help.