We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights between rome and venice

montreal
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
flights between rome and venice

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Italy, and I would like to visit rome and venice with my husband and 4 year old before we send a few days visiting family. Since our stay will be short, I wanted to fly from Rome to Venice and Venice to Naples instead of taking the train which is a longer ride. I noticed the airline easyjet.com. Has anyone ever flown with this airline. The prices are really cheap, are they too good to be true. Does anyone recommend any other airline with affordable prices.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,448 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights between rome and venice

EasyJet is reputable. However, European air space is congested, and delays are not unusual.

Trains take 3h48 and run from central Rome to central Venice. Air will not be any faster by the time you take a 30-minute ride to the airport, check-in an hour before takeoff to get through Security, and then spend almost an hour getting from Marco Polo airport into Venice itself.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,446 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights between rome and venice

Easy jeT are very good, but like all low cost airlines there is a big excess on weight for luggage, which can make it costly,

I would agree the train is the way to go, both Airports are way out of Town,

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights between rome and venice

Hi fpmtl

Easyjet is a budget airline and whilst they can and do deliver what they promote (on occasion) you ultimately get what you pay for. I have flown with them many times over the past 15 years however these days if there is an alternative airline I always take it. Frankly, after my most recent experience with Easyjet last month (hideous) I would go with Nick's suggestion and take the train.

Can't help you with other low cost airlines in Italy because I'm fairly certain that Alitalia took over the two I knew about. Others will no doubt provide this info.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flights between rome and venice

If your long haul flights aren't yet booked, consider an open jaw ticket flying into Venice and out of Naples. I expect you'll connect to your trans-Atlantic flight in Romebut you won't have to backtrack which makes life much simpler.

BTW, The budget airlines have very tight restrictions on luggage allowances and pretty high overweight charges.

montreal
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: flights between rome and venice

Thanks for all the suggestions. We haven't booked yet, because it's a last minute travel decision. Since I am travelling with a 4 year old, I wanted my flight from montreal to Italy to be direct. Originally I was thinking of flighting montreal venice, send a 2 days in venice, then fly venice to naples. My family would pick me up at the airport and I would still have an hour drive to where they live. After a few days with family, they would drive us to Rome, we would send a few days in Rome and then fly back home. While on paper this all looks great, it's considerably more expensive for me to fly into Venice and out of Rome that in and out of Rome. Also, for the train prices, what I would pay for one person is what I would pay for all three of us to fly with eayjet (alitalia is considerably more expensive).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flights between rome and venice

I flew EasyJet in the Fall twice (first, Milan to Naples then Rome to Milan) - the second flight was delayed but it was due to something at the airport not with that particular airline. The whole business of cost for weight of luggage doesn't affect me because I travel as light as a bird (well, almost) and rarely even check a bag and even then, it is always very light, which I recommend anyway - especially if you take trains).

I found them efficient though I'm sure that like with most airlines, some people have better or worse experiences with them.

When I was looking at an open jaw ticket for my upcoming flight this coming September, the amounts were the same even when flying into and out of different cities. I went with the dreaded Alitalia/Delta. Maybe it has changed.

I think if you are flying directly out of one airport after arriving there then flying to another city makes sense but I agree that if you are in Rome for a few days then going to Venice, it is easy to take the train as it would be the same amount of time, though more expensive.

montreal
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: flights between rome and venice

My flight in and out of Rome would be with Air Transat, it's direct flight, for the dates I was looking at mid september, it would cost me about 2200$ (all three of us, my 4 year old pays pretty much like an adult). However I would only be able to do mtl-venice and rome/mtl either beginning or end of september and the amounts varied from 3400$ to 3600$. I guess now I need to decide what's more important saving some money or convenience. I have a feeling with a four year old convenience will win out.

8. Re: flights between rome and venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 07:32