We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Collette Tour of Italy

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Collette Tour of Italy

My husband & I are considering a Collette tour to Italy (not sure which one yet) & would like some feedback from those who have been on Collette trips before. How was the company in general? The hotels, tour director, food, sights, locations, etc? Any feedback anyone could give would be great. We recently returned from a Tauck tour to London & Paris (our 5th Tauck tour) & were less than impressed w/ our tour director & included meals. Prior to this we had always loved Tauck but are now thinking of finding another company to tour with & Collette seems to be the next best. Thanks in advance!!

Walkabout Florence Tours
Day Trips, Food Tours, Cooking Classes, Sightseeing Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

Hi, I found your posting on trip advisors and I too am planning a trip to Italy and thinking of using Collette. Did you decide to use them? If so can you tell me how it was. Any advise would be appreciated. We are thinking of using the Explorations Tours for The Italy Treasures vacation in June 2011. Thank you so much.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

Hi Frisky88,

We were actually looking ahead for July 2011 and were not sure about using Tauck again so we looked into Collette but after some research & tripadvisor reading & talking to a few travel agents about Collette we wound up convinced once again that Tauck is the company for us. Since we have never taken a Collette I can't speak from experience but Tauck seems to remain the better fit for us. Collette looks good but we don't like all the extra excursions that you have to pay out of pocket for if you want to do them (and we would want to do them) and many of the tripadvisor reviews of the hotels Collette uses are less than glowing. Again, by no means am I saying that Collette is no good it's just that after 5 trips w/ Tauck (1 dud but hopefully that is not the new trend) they just remains a better fit for us. Good luck w/ your decision & happy travel!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

need2, Someone just posted a link to a long and detailed report about Tauck's Classic Italy tour:

http://www.1mpages.com/ReviewTauckItaly.html

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

thanks for your input. Tauck is great. My husband and I have taken 2 Perillo tours that were great. No complaints. Everyone in Europe is trying to cut back and keep cost down and we are aware of this and are willing to adapt a bit. This Colette Tour called Italy Treasures goes to places other than the main cities,which is what we are interested in doing. It is also a small group tour. No more than 26 people on the tour at a time.

We still have not made any definate plans. If we do I will let you know.

Anyone else out there ever take a Collette Tour?

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
52 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

I have not taken the Collette tour as of yet, but I am planning to go in May on one of the smaller group/Explorations tours. I have been on one Tauck tour and it was excellent, so I am looking forward to seeing how they compare. I will post my opinion once I return in May.

I chose this tour because it takes us off the beaten path, so to speak, and the itinerary is very unique......and I have checked them ALL to compare. This one fits me best, but it is probably not for someone going to Italy for the first time. It focuses on a rather specific area, and that is what I am looking for. More later!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

I have traveled with both Tauck and Collette. You get what you pay for. The meals with Collette were all group meals with no menu selections. The hotels were lovely but not in convenient locations for spending free time. Tauck included everything and did not require extra for excursions. The hotels were much more centrally located. I liked ordering off a menu to have what I wanted at meals. The people on both tours were friendly. Collette is just a step down from Tauck. The guide on a Collette trip to Australia/NZ actually suggested Tuack when we asked about the Italy tour!!!!

Have a wonderful trip with whichever group you choose.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

That is exactly what we want too. Want to be in the Tuscany area. I like the idea of small groups too. We are planning on going on June 11th, which is a guaranteed take off. The other weeks, as of now, I was told ,can be canceled if there are not a lot of people taking them. And then if you dont book the airfaire with them and get the insurance with them and you go on another week that they cancel, it is up to you to change your flights. Just be careful. I'm not quite sure about their meals. I'm not expecting much. We just want to go to the places where Collette is taking you so I am willing to gamble on certain things. I like the idea that there are not a lot of excursions offered as well, I dont like to be nickled and dimed. We want more time to ourselves to Explore. I guess that is why they call it Explorations.

Bethlehem...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

My family took a London and Paris tour with Collette in late August. We had a somewhat sarcastic tour director who seemed to be somewhat inmature. The Hotels were OK but the meals in London were poor. Our group dinner at a local pub was terrible. They must have spent less did $5 per person. It was somewhat embaresing. The trip took off when we went to Paris. Even the tour director raised his game over his London effort. The quality of the food was much better. We had dinner at the Effil tower and and went to a great cabaret show. It appeared that Collette spend most of their budget on the Paris portion. Also, when in cities this large with great transportation systems you are far better off skipping the tour excusions and going it on your own as much as possible. I would rank grade Collete as about a C effort in London and an A for the Paris portion of the trip.

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
52 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

I agree, which is why I am willing to take a chance on this particular tour. I think the back roads concept is a great idea, and the small group will make it a more intimate experience. I will definitely post a review once I return, and I will have the knowledge of the Tauck tour to compare it to.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Collette Tour of Italy

Hi, saw your post about a tour to Italy. Have you checked out Odysseys Unlimited? I went to Egypt with them in 2009 and am going to Eastern Europe in May. I was very impressed with them from start to finish. The customer service can't be beat. There are no optional tours, airfare is included, tips for local guides, drivers, hotel staff are included. I'm practically the poster child for Odysseys. I won't even consider another tour company at this point.