We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Rome to Florence

Kissimmee
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From Rome to Florence

I know this question gets asked alot but I am still confused about going from Rome to Florence. I have found some trains on Rail Europe but the fare is not available yet just the schedule. I have tried trenitalia but i looks as if they don't have trains leaving in late december. I have done some research to fly into florence but it seems so expensive. The rail passes seem to be a better deal since from rome to florence seems like its going to be about $200.00 and from Rome to Venice looks like it will be about the same. Can anyone help me out and give me some advice It would really help me out. I will be going to Italy December 13-28. Would like to visit Venice, Florence, Napels, and Rome which is where I will be staying

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Rome to Florence

You are just looking to far out for the dates, use dates closer to now for the same day of the week you want to go. The schedules tend to change twice a year but not by too much, same for prices.

US
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Rome to Florence

There are Trenitalia trains from Rome to Florence all year long. But at present the Trenitalia website return no result if you search a train for a date after December 11, 2010. If I'm not wrong starting from December 13, there will be a new timetable. Probably it is not yet ready!!

Mike

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Rome to Florence

Train schedules change on the second Sunday in December, and schedules are not posted much before the end of November. Whatever schedule RailEurope is giving you, it's what it *thinks* the schedule will be; it doesn't run the trains, Trenitalia does.

A railpass for the routes you mention is likely to cost more than point-to-point tickets bought in Italy, particularly when you add a 10 Euro per seat fee for mandatory reservations on high-speed trains, unless you plan to do only day trips from Rome, which is feasible to Florence and Naples, but not to Venice.

A second-class ticket on the high-speed train from Rome to Florence costs 44 Euro at the moment, including seat reservation, or about $ 55.

Kissimmee
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: From Rome to Florence

Ok i have done the search with earlier dates and that seems to work but it still comes to about $200 for both my husband and me to take the train out to Florence. Does that seem about right? Just always heard it was not that expensive to travel by train. Only saying bc If i want to take the train to Naples and Venice too its about $200.00 for both on those as well. So I am looking at $600.00 total just to take the trains to these cities. Seems as if the pass is worth it. Its only $350.00 and we can use it for 4 days.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Rome to Florence

I still don't understand: Are you planning day trips from Rome to Florence, Naples and Venice?

The earliest train to Venice gets you there at 11:33 am, and the last train back is at 6:27 pm. So seven hours in Venice and almost eight hours on the train.

If you include Venice, the railpass at $ 350 plus $ 36 for seat reservations is somewhat cheaper. If you don't, point-to-point tickets will be cheaper.

There are cheaper trains to Florence and Naples. They take longer but cost less than half what the high-speed trains do.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Rome to Florence

As Zerlina posted, a ticket on the fast train from Rome to Florence 2nd class, which is perfectly fine is $55 x 2 = $110. not $200.

Kissimmee
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: From Rome to Florence

Well I am looking into staying in each place for a couple of days if all goes well. Yes I was looking at booking the fast train just because we are trying to spend the least amount of time in the train and as much time as possible sightseeing.

yeah it is 110.00 but that is only one way I also need to be able to get back into rome with would be another 110.00. Puts that at right about 200.00 for both of us.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Rome to Florence

If you're going to be spending a few days in each place, may I respectfully suggest that you are going about it wrong?

Fly into Venice and out of Rome, or vice-versa. The airfare will be only slightly higher than a straight Rome return, and it will save you time *and* money backtracking. You only have to go one way, and point-to-point tickets will be much cheaper.

The only return train ticket you will have to buy will be Rome-Naples, and if you take a slower train, it will cost less than $ 50 return per person.

With a four-day railpass, you could *not* spend several days in each place; you'd have to buy an eight-day pass, which would cost a bomb (if it exists at all).

Kissimmee
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: From Rome to Florence

Zerlina- Thank you for that input I had thought about that when we first decided to take the trip but it seemed like it would of been to much of a hassel. Thanks for all your help.

10. Re: From Rome to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 21:46