We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

Chester, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

Hi,

My wife and I are in the final stages of planning a two week trip to Italy at the end of September. Our plan had been to spend a week in Tuscany and then take the train to Positano and spend a week there, flying home from Naples. We have found really nice appartments in both places.

However, at the last minute we are wondering if it would be better to spend the full 2 weeks in Tuscany and save Positano for another time. In addition to having more time to spend in Tuscany, there would be less travelling, the trip is slightly easier for flights and a bit cheaper also this way.

Can anyone give us some views on whether two weeks (staying in Rufina, Tuscany) would be a better option than splitting up with the second week in Positano, Amalfi. I know a very personal choice but would be very interested in whether you feel that one week would be a little rushed in either location and therefore better to spend two in one place, or whether actually a week in each is plenty to get a good taste of the area.

Thanks very much for your help.

Richard

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

Richard,

two weeks in tuscany are really a wonderful and not so expensive holiday...having so much time, the best way is to split one week in the south area and the other week in the cheaper north area (lucca-pisa) so that you may enjoy the entire tuscany...if you need more informatons about my (north)area, please ask!!

cheers

silvia

Chester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

Thanks Silvia. The apartment we have found is in Rufina but I can find very little information on that area. I guess it is better placed to cover the Northern part of Tuscany and seems to be near Florence. Do you know this town? Is it a good base to explore from? Would we be able to access the Southern areas from here or really too far for places like Orvieto, Montepulciano, Siena etc, which I've heard are all good to visit. Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Richard

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

Hi Richard

If you are planning to return to Italy at a later time, then I would opt to spend the two weeks in Tuscany. You can easily spend two weeks there and just scratch the surface.

I agree with Silvia, stay one week in the north of Tuscany and another in the south ... around the Siena area is a good base for southern Tuscany and parts of Umbria.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

I can't imagine how someone could really answer this question for you - it totally depends on what sort of holiday you want - all countryside, part countryside/part seaside? I would split them but that's just me -

What interests you most? Driving through the Tuscan countryside, visiting the towns, wineries, etc? or going to the seaside, pretty much parking the car (or getting rid of it and taking the train to Naples or Salerno, then onto the Amalfi Coast) and enjoying the water, a few ferry or boat rides while relaxing and seeing the different villages. The Amalfi Coast is not as vast an area at Tuscany.

Perhaps the answer lies in you doing more research about location - seeing what appeals to you more. And, knowing yourselves - are you happy to spend concentrated time in one region when you travel or so you like to have very different destinations in one holiday?

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

rich,

rufina is quite close to florence but in an area a bit hilly...so in two weeks it could be rainy; if you stay around pisa and lucca, you'll have a better weather and maybe go to the beach too...if you're looking for apartments, try here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VRACSearch?geo=187899&q=Pisa%2C+Italy&manager=&inDay=2&inMonth=10%2F2010&checkIn=dd%2Fmm%2Fyyyy&outDay=9&outMonth=10%2F2010&checkOut=dd%2Fmm%2Fyyyy&searchAll=true&bedrooms=0&sleeps=0&bathrooms=0&l1price=&l1currency=2&pricePeriod=d

cheers

silvia

Chester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

Thanks Nessie. I guess that it exactly the info I needed. IE that we wouldn't scratch the surface of everything there is to do in Tuscany in two weeks and as per Silvia's post that a north/south week split would work well. So thank you.

We have a place in mind in the North (Rufina, do you know it?) and I'll now look for somewhere a bit further south for the other week. Found a place near Cortona (Borgo Cipressi) and also one or two nearer Siena. I guess both would be good bases for exploring southern Tuscany?

Thanks again.

Chester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

Thanks again Silvia

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

If you have no desire to combine your beautiful Tuscan trip with the dramatic landscape of the Amalfi Coast then I would just stay in Tuscany (I love both areas and I am not commenting negatively on your choice). I would let the decision be driven primarily around what your desire is, have you been to both areas before, and when you will be coming back. There is no right or wrong answer. Just the answer that works best for you.

If I were staying only 1 week in Tuscany, I would pick a more central location than Ruffina (like Siena area) because it will be difficult to make treks to many of the best places from Ruffina. If I were staying 2 weeks, then I would be more inclined to base myself there and then 1 week between Siena, Montalcino and Montepulciano.

To get from Tuscany to the Amalfi Coast area would take up about 2/3rds of one day (whether you drive it yourself or take trains and other transport), but it would be a worthwhile investment if you have never been there.

All up to you.

9. Re: 2 Weeks Tuscany or Split with one in Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:10