We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpack or suitcase?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Backpack or suitcase?

We have almost 4 weeks in Italy, travelling independently and largely by train and taking in Rome, Assisi, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre and Siena.

Have been thinking that it will be easier to manage backpacks given stairs, narrow streets etc, but just wondering what else we should be taking into account in our decision.

Looking forward to hearing from others.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpack or suitcase?

If you can use a backpack, you can use a reasonably sized suitcase, and a well made suitcase with wheels can cope with narrow streets and cobblestones.

I admit to a personal prejudice: I've been whacked by too many backpacks on buses, trains and vaporettos.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpack or suitcase?

Sort of depends on when you are going (winter...summer, etc) & how you like to dress. Lots of shorts...a few sweaters? We like to do the 22" airplane carry-on with rollers, and the largest on the shoulder type carry-on (underwear, socks, toiletries, cameras, guide-book, etc) we can get away with. This easily takes us for 15-20 days. It's easy to handle on the train, or rolling down the sidewalk. But 4 weeks...it may be asking to much! Oh...I usually wear a blazer and slacks on the plane, and my wife wears a slightly dressy jacket and carries her raincoat on her arm. This saves packing nicer clothing and taking up needed space.

3. Re: Backpack or suitcase?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 07:15