We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

I am awarding the sixth Order of the Golden road to dvane, for her posting of

Just got back from Italy - Things I wish I had known... ”

Oct 26, 2010, 2:24 PM, distressing though it may be.

This is awarded reluctantly, because it doesn't seem to be a posting with much amusement or camradery, however the depth and breadth of the replies force a careful consideration of the stimulation inherent in the original posting.

It is the opinion of the judge that the replies have focused attention on the issues that are most important to all of us who are more or less married to Trip Advisor. I mean the value and place of individual judgments and prejudice, the importance that some of us attach to having the opinions well stated, and the wonderful variety of opinions that we encounter in T/A.

"Order of the Golden Road"; this award is given randomly, at my discretion, to someone who initiates a thread that turns out to be fun and stimulating. The two categories of fun and stimulating are weighted equally in deciding when to award the Order.

The winners have been:

1. Bradlinski, for "Eating" Jan 10, 2009.

2. Nomonoloco, for "Beefsteak" april 18,2009

3. Gina-Schmitz for "SydneyNick***" February 25, 2010

4, Goose94, for "Suggestions for a Private Place in Venice to Propose", April 30, 2010

5. Travelrrr, for "It's Been a Year Now, and I'm Still Upset", July 1, 2010

6. dvane, for Just Got Back from Italy..., October 26, 2010 (not much fun)

Now, then, if any of you conclude that I am mad...I can only demur.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,440 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,899 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,819 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,678 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

I was one who responded to her post and while I did not share her opinions about much of her list of items she highlighted, as each of us is, of course, entitled to our opinion, I found her attitude that only her opinions were communicated with candor, while others expressed their own opinions about the same items (but differing from her opinions) and were accused of being less than candid.

In fact, she clearly stated that she was simply giving an "honest assessment" of those particular things that she mentioned. Doesn't take a brain trust to immediately get the accusation that others were less than truthful simply because their opinions were not shared by her. It was a ridiculous context for her comments. But she made it and wow - she has caught your attention for some reason. Mystifying. And you bestow these "awards" why?

There have been so many other threads that were really wonderful to read in that you truly got a sense of the experience the poster had and what it meant to him/her - told with sheer joy of having an experience that in some cases had good and bad moments, but told in a way that captured my imagination and attention. Sometimes making me remember something similar from travels over the years and appreciating hearing about it or someplace from someone else's perspective.

To each his own I guess.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

I think the problem with the original post was the way dvane worded her opinions as "facts" and telling all of us that love Italy that we were being dishonest in giving advice/our opinion about Italy. I felt in explanatory posts further along in the thread she clarified what she meant/intended and in those explanations made it clear (to me at least) that what she listed were her observations as a first time visitor to Italy. Many people refuted her observations one by one which I also feel is instructive for anyone visiting Italy. Once she clarified what she meant by her post I'm not sure why people felt the need to continue piling on but everyone is entitled to their opinion and to post it.

There were several good posts about accepting the differences and culture of a country you visit and personally I don't sweat the small stuff while traveling. One person's annoyance might not bother another person. But dvane obviously felt the need to give her perspective and it did provide a lively discussion.

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

"it did provide a lively discussion"

and still is

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

Mom, the awards are simply an expression of my personal joy in sharing things through T/A. I do not pretend that there is any sense or validity in them.

Iowa
Level Contributor
624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

Watch out roadgard, MomCat is on to you.

6. Re: The Sixth Order of the Golden Road, to dvane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 05:16