We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Italy with a criminal record?

Wellington Shire
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Italy with a criminal record?

I am planning a trip overseas with my partner next year & am tossing up between Ireland & Italy. However, my partner has a criminal record. Has anyone out there had any experience with someone travelling as a tourist with a criminal record? I know there is something called the Schengen agreement which allows Australians to stay up to 90 days without a visa. I am concerned that on arrival he will be asked about criminal record & be turned away. I also know that Vatican City is not on this agreement but is the No.1 place I want to visit (but not the only place). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Italy with a criminal record?

Unless things have changed in the past year, there are no forms to fill out when arriving in Italy and no questions about criminal record. On arrival, the Immigration officer looks at the passport and stamps it. The stamp allows you to be in the Schengen Treaty area for up to 90 days.

There are no border formalities of any kind between Italy and the Vatican.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Italy with a criminal record?

I've travelled to Italy in excess of 30 times with an Aussie passport and never once had to fill in any documentation - as Sydneynick says your partner will need to provide his/her passport to Immigration which is immediately stamped and returned.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Italy with a criminal record?

I know someone with a minor criminal record in the US who now can no longer travel to Canada because they apparently access such records at the border (or so I was told)

So although Schengen does not require paperwork related to this, the issue would be if there are data bases that are reviewed --

have you looked at the Italian web site?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Italy with a criminal record?

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4361.html

There is no criminal record check. What Canada do to Americans is because of what US do to Canadians.

5. Re: Travelling to Italy with a criminal record?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 06:18