We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help deciding on Italy itinerary

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
180 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Please help deciding on Italy itinerary

Oct 2011 will be our first trip to Italy. I was all set for 12 nights, fly into Venice for 3 nights, train to Florence for 2 nights, train to Sienna for 1 night then train to Rome 6 nights and then to states from Rome. We have to request vacation time at work and now Im having second thoughts. While we do not mind a fairly busy schedule, since this is trip is new for us I do not want it to involve too much traveling. Would we be better off spending 10 nights and limiting our intercountry travel? I was thinking of flying into Rome for 5 nights, train to Florence for 3 nights, train to Sienna for 1 night and then back to Rome for a night with quick access to airport for flight back home. Any opinions greatly appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,890 Reviews
from US$113.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$124.70*
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help deciding on Italy itinerary

Well, there's pros and cons both ways--pros, you have 12 days, and they are all wonderful places, seen in a logical order. Cons-you will be doing a lot of time unpacking, packing, checking out, on the train, checking in again, etc.

I suggest you post this in the Rome, Florence, and Venice forums to get better feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help deciding on Italy itinerary

12 days in Italy is always 2 days better than 10 days. You won't regret spending as much time as you can.

My one thought would be to consider staying in Florence 3 nights and doing a day trip by bus to Siena. That would save one day of lugging suitcases and changing hotels.

If you can afford to take the fast trains then it is not that much time spent on travel. Do NOT skip Venice - it is wonderful and unique.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help deciding on Italy itinerary

Siena is about an hour by bus from Florence. I would not change hotels for one night but would choose one or the other as your base.

12 nights is better than 10 - it is a long flight and I stay as long as possible to maximize the value in terms of cost and time.

With 12 nights I would fly into Venice and spend 3 nights, head to Florence for 4-5 and spend the remainder in Rome. This gives you time for a day trip from both Florence and Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
4. Re: Please help deciding on Italy itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 06:50