We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks, rough itinerary ideas

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks, rough itinerary ideas

We're are visiting Italy next summer, for 3 weeks in July, any specific time to come that are best? 1st 3 weeks, or last 3 weeks? It will be Mum and DD20, we plan to travel around by train and public transport. Our only commitment is, we have to be in Milan for July 12th for a concert.

Anywho what I was thinking was;

Milan, 3 nights [2 full days, 1 for concert and shopping, 1 for Duomo + other sights]

Venice 4 nights

Florence 3/4 nights, including a day trip to Pisa. Is this too much time in Florence? Waht other sights are there?

Rome 4 nights [1 day for Anicent Rome, 1 for Vactien City, 1 for piazzas]

Naples 3/4nights, including day trip to Pompeiii

Amalfi Coast 4 nights -- Relax

I want to visit Capri, would if be best to day trip from Naples or Amalfi Coast?

Opinons, Suggestions Please. I also wanted to visit the lakes area, and some small towns/villages, but I haven't researched far enough yet, but Florence is a good based to explore villages?

Any recs on small towns to visit?

We're interested in the culture, just taking some time to relax eating and drinking local cuisine, relaxing in piazzas. Architecture, photography, food, duomos really interest me

Is there a better order for this, starting in a certain city first?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks, rough itinerary ideas

Your order of cities is good and sounds like an excellent trip.

Try to fly "open jaws" into Milan and out of Rome to save a travel day.

I do question why so many days (or any days) in Naples.

I would stay in Sorrento instead - going to Capri and Pompeii easily from Sorrento, then move to Amalfi Coast.

Add one night to Rome if possible.

From Florence you can explore Tuscan towns such as Siena. You could visit one of the Lakes as a day trip from Milan (adding a day there) or staying a day or so in the lakes. They are beautiful.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks, rough itinerary ideas

If you want to see the lake, I would add a day in Milan. You can train up to Como and take a ferry and travel up Lake Como to Bellagio. There is a fast and slow ferry so I would take the slow one up and the fast one back.

3 to 4 days in Florence isn't necessarily a lot of time in Florence, especially if you are thinking of doing a trip to Pisa. You could also take the bus down to Siena but getting around the rest of that area without a vehicle takes some effort.

I agree, if you don't have a compelling reason to stay in Naples I would choose somewhere else although people seem to have a love/hate relationship with that city.

If you did stay in Sorrento, you might want to combine that with the Amalfi Coast stay, it's not that far away, that way you could do day trips to Capri, Pompeii,Ercalano, Naples and the Amalfi Coast.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks, rough itinerary ideas

Thanks guys; I wasn't sure about Naples, I'll look at Sorrento. Good idea about the lakes area. I was definitely going to fly into one city and out the other.

I wasn't sure whether to stay in Florence or a Tuscan Town, as I'm not really sure what interests us in Florence? -- This city seems mainly about the arts and muesums.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks, rough itinerary ideas

Staying in a Tuscan town without a car is not convenient for visiting the area. I suggest to stay in one of the larger cities such as Florence or Siena as they are a better transportation hub. If you did want to visit Pisa then Florence would be the best choice to stay in. If you just want to hang out, then Siena may be better.

Yes Florence is mostly about art and architecture, it is the birthplace of the Renaissance but certainly worth visiting. You could spend a day seeing Florence, there is a hill top town close to Florence, Fiesole, which has a great view over Florence. Its about 8K away so you could walk or take the bus. A half day trip into Pisa or maybe a full day if you wanted to see more than just the tower and a day trip to Siena. You may want to combine Siena with a wine tour through the Chianti region. You may have to hire a driver for that, perhaps they could take you on the wine tour and drop you off in Siena and then you could take the bus/train back to Florence.

You mention a few days to relax at the end of your itinerary which is a great idea as you are packing alot into your itinerary. No point coming home exhausted.

5. Re: 3 weeks, rough itinerary ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 05:17