We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

Save Topic
Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

We are travelling to Italy in Nov 2008 after the Rugby world cup in France and have no idea where to go or what to do when we get there. We are from the other side of the world (New Zealand) and need some help.....Suggested places and things to do would be great....HELP !!!

We have 4 days in Rome somewhere else would be great

PS: There is only so many churches, museums and architecture you can see... we are more the thrill seeker type... well within reason.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

A lot depends on how much time you have to spend in Italy. Try not to make the mistake of trying to see too many different places. It is nice to spend enough time in one place to get the feel of it and soak up the atmosphere. We have travelled extensively in Italy and are only too keen to help out some fellow kiwi's.

canada
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

BrentandPaula, are you lamenting the limited number of churches, museums and architecture that one can visit before being immobilised, or one's limited attention span to these places. Please let us know what thrills you. Some people are thrilled to see the paintings or scuptures in a particular place, some are thrilled to have visited the holy relic of their favorite saint, some are thrilled to see an ancient site, some are thrilled to have tasted the best meal in their life, or being seen sitting next to a celebrity. Some people are thrilled to drive down Autostrada de sol in a Ferrari at 170mph and survived, or piloting a Riva boat to the point just before flipping over, or being chased down an Alpine slope by avalanche.

For me, I am thrilled to find myself just being there with my faculties intact, and interact with situations past and present.

3. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2006, 17:36
Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

There are so mnay different parts of Italy, of course many people come to soak in the culture, but its not just churches, museum, architecture although these are part of the culture of course. How much time do you have in Italy and do you plan to travel by car or train? Of course if you are thrill seekers you should drive! Are you into mountain climbing, water activities,wine and food tasting or what?

Save Reply
5. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

thank you all for your replys... Althoug of course the culture of this place is exciting we really want to see the real italy not just the touristy type destinations.... the thought eating and listening to the locals and just people watching is sometimes just as fascinating... can you suggest a few places maybe

Save Reply
6. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

we were maybe planning to spend another 4 days elsewhere ( 4 in Rome and 4 in ???)

We love food and wine and probably because it is our first time there use the public transport.. We love water and anything to do with it eg: boating snokeling, scuba . fishing and lazy romantic nights witha soft breeze and soaking up the smells and sounds would be good... what part of italy would you suggest

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

It is so hard to suggest just one other place but I think you are doing the right thing with 4 days in Rome (it is very easy to fill 4 days in Rome, we spend at least that number of days there each time we visit) and 4 says elsewhere.

As you are using public transport somewhere easy to get to by train would be a good option so you don't waste too much of your time travelling. Florence never ceases to amaze us and we just love to spend time there and it is very easy to get to from Rome. Venice is also lovely but further to go. Heading out to the coast is another good option. Either down to Sorrento or up to the likes of Santa Margherita. Then of course is the northern lakes, Como is lovely although it is a bit further away.

There is nothing nicer than to sit and relax with a good coffee and people watch, we spend many an hour doing just that. Can you stretch your time out a bit and have more time in Italy? Have fun planning, we are off back to Italy in May this year, can't wait!!

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

November is a bit late for lazy romantic nights in Cinque Terre and around Santa Margherita and Como as winter is starting, not to mention a bit chilly for diving, I don't know what the weather is like on the Amalfi coast, warmer I am sure. If you are flying in and out of Rome then that's where I would go, maybe stop at Pompeii and then onto amalfi and Capri, so you maximise your time without too much travelling.

If you are flying out of Milan, then I would suggest Piedmont, fantastic wine and food (well I live here, so of course) and November is the best season for the white truffles, after the tourists have all gone away, but a car would be needed to get the best enjoyment.

Of course its hard to find good wine and food anywhere in Italy too.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

I agree it will be cool in November and you will certainly not be swimming but don't let the coolness stop you from visiting some lovely places To us each season brings its own special feel to a place.

You could comfortably get to Sorrento from Rome and it is easy to then spend a day at Pompeii from there, we did that by train very easily. There are also ferries across to Capri although I am not sure of the winter schedule for this. The other option is to base yourselves in Rome and do day trips from there, there are many on offer and when you are on a tight schedule this can be a good option.

NZ
Level Contributor
291 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to and What to do?? HELP !!

We are two kiwis and have planned an Italian trip for mid-Sept. We will be there for 3 1/2 weeks, and are having 3 days each in Rome, Florence and Venice, 4 days in Cinque Terre, 2 days in Siena and a week in a villa in Tuscany. If you only have 8 or 9 days and you like doing active, adventurous things I would suggest you get a train from Rome to La Spezia on the the Ligurian coast ( may involve a connection at Pisa). Stay for 3 or 4 days there or at one off the villages and from there you can explore all five amazing villages by foot, train, and boat, sit on the waterfront in a cafe and absorb the atmosphere, watch the sunset etc. Check out some of the Cinque Terre websites for more info.