We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

I would like to take my parents next year on a trip to italy. They have never been and I think they would enjoy it... My partner and I are thinking to take them two obvious place - florence and rome, but realistically how much time should we stay there?

Also I would like to take them on a 3rd place...this could be a one day excursion from rome or florence or it could be a couple of days.

A picturesque train trip to the 3rd place would be nice.

Is lake garda or lake como viable in our trip? If so which one is better?

I would be very greatful for any input you might have!

We are thinking to go in August time 2010. So plenty of time to prepare...i hope...

thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,576 Reviews
from US$74.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,980 Reviews
from US$108.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from US$395.80*
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,274 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

What are your parents interests? Do they get around well? Do they like art Museums, churches, antiquities, and ruins or strolling around taking in sites?

From Rome you can take a train (1 hr) to the walled city Orvieto, or a 30 min train to Ostia Antica. From Florence a day trip to Siena, or to Pisa for the infamous tower.

There are many options, with 10 days I would opt not to jump around and spending your time on a train and changing hotels, stick to maybe 5 days Rome and 5 Florence.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,601 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

An openjaw air ticket would suit your itinerary, fly into Rome and out of Venice.www.easyjet.com

Connect to your destinations by train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

www.romeinfo.com

www.visitflorence.com www.discovertuscany.com

www.venice-tourism.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

You can easily visit Pisa and Lucca in a day by train from Florence. Siena is a bus ride away www.sitabus.it Tuscany.

Edited: 13 December 2010, 22:25
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its very helpful!

My parents love all that history stuff and they are quite mobile... i think maybe your right though concentrate and stay 5days each somewhere and then day trip... senia is very pictureque i remember falling in love with the place when i first went with my partner.

Apart from the obvious touristy stuff.... Does anyone know what other interesting things you can do when you are in Rome. Any good tours for cantonese speaking people.

Bike tours etc?

Food tasting tours?

thanks in advance.

yen

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

August is the very 'PEAK' of tourist season...very hot and very humid. If I were you I would plan on mid to late September. (Way less people and nicer weather) At least that is what I would hope my kids would do if they took me to Italy...;-). Oh, and come on...you're not trying very hard...go the (Italy) forums box above and type in 'cantonese guide'...or 'bike tour'...or whatever you want. Lots of answers and suggestions pop up. Good luck...nice gift...lucky parents!

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

You can do a day trip to pompeii from Rome.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

But it's a long day whereas the ruins at Ostia anrtica are also very impressive, much less crowded with tourists and only a short train ride from Rome. Admittedly you don't have the backdrop of Vesuvius but Ostia antica is still really interesting.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

Pompeii might not be there forever thought! Judging by recent events.

8. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 13:14
9. Re: Help! Ideas for an itinerary for 10 days in italy 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 04:17