We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Italy and need advice on accomodation rental

Gatineau, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Italy and need advice on accomodation rental

We are 2 couples leaving for Italy at the end of May and this is our first trip there. On a high level, our itinerary is to visit Rome - Tuscany region (not exactly sure which region or towns yet) - Florence - Venice. We arrive in Rome and are ok to stay 1 or 2 nights there but would love to get an appt. or villa anywhere in the Tuscany region for 1 week that would enable us to travel by car or train within Tuscany (including Florence). I am undecided if I should focus on finding something in the North, South, East, West or central region. I do know that we want to see Siena and the Chianti region. Otherwise I am open .... any thoughts ?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Italy and need advice on accomodation rental

I think that your idea of finding a place to rent for a week is very good and then take day trips from there. You can find many villas, apartments, B&B's and farm stays on websites such as VRBO and HomeAway.com. Plus there are many sites for more expensive places. If you want to stay a week in Tuscany, most rental places rent on a weekly basis, Saturday to Saturday. For a very nice place with pool, figure $150 to $200 per day per couple. A car is almost a necessity for getting around Tuscany and Umbria, but plan on taking the train into Florence for a day trip and the train from Rome and back to wherever you stay in Tuscany/Umbria. Colleen, who owns Antica Vetreria in Piegaro, Umbria has a ton of good info on her website at <anticavetreria.net>. While her place is on the Umbrian/Tuscan border, it sounds like you wish to stay a little further north like in Cortona or the Arezzo area. Hope this helps. Mike

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Italy and need advice on accomodation rental

chris,

This may give you some ideas slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Gatineau, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Italy and need advice on accomodation rental

Super, thank you so much...I will take a look at these sites and funny thing is, I was actually stuck on Arezzo earlier today.

4. Re: First trip to Italy and need advice on accomodation rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 06:18