We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

Planning a 3 generation trip to Italy with 65 yr old, 41 yr old, 15 yr old. We will be coming from US, 9 days/8 nights. Was thinking of flying into Florence for 2 nights, then a town along the coast for 2 nights, then Rome for 3 nights.

Any suggestions on a nice town to visit along the coast for two nights?

Also, do you think this itinerary is too busy. Maybe only visit two cities, if so which two?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,931 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

You could fly into Pisa and stay in Viareggio, visiting Lucca and Florence by train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html Then train to Rome www.romeinfo.com for return flight home.

www.venere.com

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

I would think that moving three times in 9 days might mean spending a third of your vacation in relocating. Also, getting flights into Florence from the US may prove problematic. You may find it cheaper/faster and less of a hassle to fly roundtrip to Rome, take the train to Florence upon arrival in Rome(about2-3 hours) and stay for maybe 5 days. That way you can "experience" Florence for a day, take a bus or train daytrip to the coast or parts of Tuscany, rest and enjoy Florence the next day, and so on for you time there; then take the train back to Rome for 3 days, and then home again.

We found a lovely place to stay, conveniently located and no car needed for this September. If you are interested see www.holidayhometuscany.com/Attico Duomo. It is a lovely refurbished penthouse 5 floors up (with elevator), 3 Bed/3Bath and a terrific terrace overlooking the Duomo. (if it fits your budget.) The temptation is to try to see everything and end up exhausted and enjoying nothing. After all, isn't this your first visit to Italy, not your last? Hope this helps. mike

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

MikeRyherd...can you resend me the link for the rental? It isn't taking me to the home you referenced.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

At what time of year would this trip take place?

I think three places in eight days is too much; the first day, you almost certainly will be tired and won't hit the ground running. You could follow something like Nurioopta's suggestion, or you could stay in Rome and somewhere on the coast and take a day trip to Florence. In that case, you might want to stay in Anzio or Nettuno, just south of Rome and easily reached by train. Sperlonga is very nice, but a little harder to get to. All three are south of Rome, so they wouldn't be a stopover on the way from Florence to Rome.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

Sorry, hope this works better: holidayhomestuscany.com/florence-apartments-…

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

This trip would be in mid-June 2012 (not 2011)! I plan our vacations a year plus in advance. First trip to Europe for the 41 yr old (me) and 15 yr old. My mother was in Europe, including Italy last year. She did visit Florence and Rome and is willing to visit again.

Here is one itinerary that I drafted based on reading tripadvisor today and feedback to this post:

Day 1-Arrive Rome-take train to Florence

Day 2- Florence

Day 3- Florence-day trip to Pisa

Day 4- Florence-day trip to ?

Day 5- train to Rome

Day 6-Rome

Day 7-Rome

Day 8-Rome

Day 9-Leave Rome for US

Or is there a city that is along the coast that 15 yr old would enjoy (maybe some swimming?) more so than Florence? Although, Florence seems to be centrally located. We really are open to anything!

Really appreciate all the help so far!

Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
17 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

I see that you changed your thinking as to fly I'm and out of Rome. Great idea. Trains every half hour for a 90 minute train ride. We've carried groups to Italy from as few as 5 to as large as 26. Ages from 15 to 55. Never an issue to cram as much in as you can. The nice thing is that you're just planning things to do. Get your rooms and museum tickets. Then rest as you need. I won't go into things to see in Rome and Florence unless you want me too. I will suggest that if time permits and you don't mind hiking a bit, go see the Cinque Terra. Beautiful walks along the coastal hills with trains for those that cant make hike. Not too strenuous but not flat. Great little villages for fresh seafood. We didn't swim but there may be places for that. Search the web for it and good luck. I have plenty of suggestions for things to see if you're intersted. You're in for a treat!

Edited: 15 January 2011, 21:23
Prestonpans, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

kaldonia, Could you advise on best things to do/see in Rome & Florence as I am also planning a trip to both cities later this year?

Thanks

Edited: 15 January 2011, 21:43
Prestonpans, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

kaldonia, Could you advise on best things to do/see in Rome & Florence as I am also planning a trip to both cities later this year?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,071 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help Please-Florence, ???, Rome

There are all kinds of choices for one to choose other than Rome or Florence - but, I personally think you should decide which are of the most interest to you and your family. I would certainly get the 15 year old involved in the planning - what do they want to see? Give him/her a guidebook and ask for input. Some people would decide to fly into Venice spend 3 days, take the train to Rome and fly home from Rome. You don't seem particularly sold on Florence as yet and you have more than enough to plan. Many hotels won't even let you book this far in advance so you can take some time to decide.

I usually buy my plane tickets 3 months in advance and book my hotels around the same time ahead if going in high season. If you are more comfortable booking further in advance, do so maybe 9 months ahead. Hotels won't even have their 2012 rates determined as yet.

Part of the fun of traveling is reading up on a place and deciding what places I really want to see and explore.