We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

Salem, Oregon
3 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

We are planning on 2 days in Venice then 10 days in the Tuscany Florence region should we stay the whole time in Florence and take day trips or would it be better to stay in like Sienna or other small town and visit Florence?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,673 reviews
from US$74.18*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,427 reviews
from US$109.44*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,026 reviews
from US$60.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
486 reviews
from US$401.28*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,086 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

I think I would stay in Florence in an apartment for a week and really enjoy its amazing art heritage -- and would do day trips to Pisa and Siena and the Chianti road from there and perhaps do a day trip by car or tour to some of the smaller town south of there like Pienza and Montepulciano

I would then spend 3 days in Lucca

Another option would be to concentrate on the hill towns and base in the countryside near or on the edges of one of the towns -- be sure to get a place with good parking -- with this approach you could park on the outskirts of FLorence e.g. Porta Romana for day trips in -- but you miss much of what Florence has to offer

Another option would be a hotel just within the walls of Siena with parking so you could day trip from there but have the town evenings -- it is great evening town

Salem, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

Thanks for your input. Is it necessary to have a vehicle? It sounds like it can be a hassle driving in Italy. Thank you again for your thoughts.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 23:16
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

Hi

We didn't have a car for the month we two ladies did around Italy. Bus and trains everywhere and booked at the station when we alighted for the next destination...no problems but it was then October..used the regional trains which are not so crowded, but a bit slower and cheaper.

We came down from the Italian Riviera and stayed 2 nights in Lucca B & B, 5 nights in Florence in an apartment near the bus and train station and 2 in Siena B & B. If you are not heavily into the arts and history, you could take off Florence and perhaps spend time in another Tuscan village which has public transport. However, be aware that the villages do not all have regular services and may not have a public transport service in the evening.

In Florence we did a bus trip for a day out to San Gimignano a hillside walled village. We had to have a change in buses at a village along the way.

If you had 5 days in Florence, you could go to Lucca for a day, a Tuscan village for a day and spend the rest of the time around the city. If you had 5 days in Siena, you could maybe get down into Umbria also...need to sus that one out.

If you are driving, you could stay in a villa or country accommodation and drive around the Tuscan hillside villages. Parking is usually below the village as cars cannot always go into old towns.

It all depends on just what you want to see and how you travel.

Niec

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

If you prefer not to drive, then basing in Florence in a self-catering apartment and then doing day trips out of Florence to Lucca, Sienna, Pisa, etc by train or bus works well. There is so much to see in Florence that having a day trip every other day and just enjoying Florence on the off day should keep you well fed, relaxed and rested.

We are spending 5 days in Florence in September and will do day trips to the Pisa/Lucca area in that manner, and then we are going to Piegaro on the Umbrian/Tuscan border where we will rent a car to see the back roads and hill towns of much of Tuscany and Umbria.

Salem, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

Thank you all for the information it has been very helpful.

6. Re: 10 days in Florence/Tuscany region where should my base be

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 06:17