We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel v. apartment?

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Topic
hotel v. apartment?

We are traveling to London, Rome, Venice, Florence, and Sorrento. Apartments seem so much more practical to stay at and less expensive. 2 adults and 2 children... it would be nice to have a little kitchen to make breakfast and lunch for them. My husband and I are a bit nervous as we won't have the "security" of a hotel staff. And does someone meet us at the apartment to give us the key? or do we go to a the management company and pick up the key?

Please advise....

I have been looking at bee-hive. they have some nice apartments! thank you!!!!!!

first time to Europe! soooo excited!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel v. apartment?

Congratulations on your first trip. My wife and I prefer to stay in self-catering apartments or villas for the reasons you state as well as the privacy and greater choice. However, I think that the break even point is somewhere around 3 to 5 days. Less that that, you are probably better off in a hotel. Many apartments only rent on a week to week basis, usually Saturday to Saturday. You also usually pay about a third down to hold the apartment and you pay a refundable damage deposit in cash at the time your arrive. Most of the apartments/villas we have booked the caretaker either lives on site or meets you at the location between pre-set hours. All of those details will vary depending on which company/booking agent you are working with. Be sure to ask the questions in advance and get the answers in writing.

In case you are interested (not knowing your budget or how long you will be in Florence) here is the website of a Penthouse apartment we have booked for 5 days in September that is very nice, centrally located and has a wonderful veranda: holidayhomestuscany.com/florence-apartments once on the website, go to the left and lookdown the list of Florence Apartments until you come to Penthouse Duomo. Hope this helps.

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel v. apartment?

thank you for your response!

Most apartments I have seen are a minimum of 3 nights and we are staying that in each area (except florence, only 2 nights).

I do know I want AC... laundry would be GREAT... and of course 2 bdrms.

I will check out the link you sent. are there any companies you have used in the past that you recommend?

Lynn

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel v. apartment?

I have stayed in apts in Paris, Rome, and Florence. In Sorrento a lot of the landlords wanted sat to sat leases, so we stayed in a B&B in 2007; maybe it is different now.

Different agencies do different things. The paris apt I rented required payment by credit card in advance and mailed us the key before we left.

Moslty someone meets you at the apt with a key. In Rome all the apts required payment in cash on day1, which is inconvenient but that's what is done.

I cannot share any enthusiasm for preparing anything in the kitchen during my vacation. The refrigerator is great for storing snacks like fruit and yogurt, and you can make your own ice cubes in the freezer., and store your own Diet Coke you buy at the grocery store.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel v. apartment?

We have used Sleep In Italy www.sleepinitaly.com for apartments in Rome and they were excellent as well as the staff being most helpful about the strengths and foibles of each place we considered.

They meet you at the apartment with the key, you check the place out and pay the remainder of the rent in cash, plus a security deposit which is returned the last day if the place is OK.

Love the small kitchen. We usually cook breakfast and eat out for other meals, but a chilled bottle of wine in the fridge never goes amiss. Plus I have to have a washing machine as we travel for longer periods and I don't want to spend my time in a laundromat. We put it on before breakfast, hang it on the airer before leaving for the day and it is usually dry at night.

We have not stayed in an apartment in Venice despite several visits. Last trip we stayed at the B&B Aitagliapietra which was excellent. In Sorrento we stayed at a B&B La Magnolia.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel v. apartment?

I have used Rome-Accomodations.net the last four times I went to Rome

rome-accommodation.net/apartments-rome.xhtml

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel v. apartment?

Lupaling,

I am considering using Rome -Accomodation for the first time.

I guess since you have used them 4 times already,they are a good company to use!

What makes them stand out for you and what is their service like once you get there if there is a problem etc?

Have their places they have represented and you have rented been clean and pretty much as stated? I have found an apartment I like through them and highly considering it so any information would be helpful,thank you!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel v. apartment?

The apts are reasonably priced.

They are clean; they are cleaned weekly by the agency and I am guessing when people check out. It is not up to the whim of the landlord. If you are occupying the apt on the cleaning day, thye inform you when you check in so you can be sure to be elsewhere.

You can pay the promise money to hold the apt by credit card.

no security depsoit that has to be returned on check out: I am OK with promise money, but ths security deposit thing truns me off. How do you know if you will get it back ever? Just what you need a lump of euros to be returned jsut as you are going back to yoru non-euro company.

They answer the phone when you call and have an emergengy and weekend number to call posted in the apts.

They have a service to drive you to the apt fron FCO. 48 euros, same as a cab. You can arrange it though them and I assuming that the dreives are really familiar with the apt locations.

They have a range of apts all over the city. I stay in the smaller ones but I have styed in 3 differnt apts.

The apts look jsut like the pictures on their web pages.

I feel like they have treated me fairly in our transactions. Not all my apt experiences with other agencies have been what I would call successes.

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel v. apartment?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.Good information to help me decide!

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel v. apartment?

Hi, I'm Steve from The Beehive. If you are looking at the offsite rooms that area part of the Beehive - Clover, Acacia and Millefiori, you come to our Hotel to check in and get the keys and then you come and go as you please to the apartment. If you've seen the properties on our agency site Cross-Pollinate, then those you meet the owner at the apartment who checks you in.

In either case, Italian apartments are very secure: you have a "portone" which is door to the building from the street, and then an apartment door and often locks on the internal doors as well.

If have any questions, just send us an email.

Steve

10. Re: hotel v. apartment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 19:18