We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to take kids to Italy this summer

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
want to take kids to Italy this summer

Help with ideas on how to introduce kids 13, 10 and 6 to Italy-

What areas to visit and where to stay?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: want to take kids to Italy this summer

You can start with letting them borrow travel books about Italy from the library and go through together to find the amazing things you can do and see there. Then from all your interests you can narrow down to some specific cities or towns. Rome and Venice never disappiont young children and their parents. I know our children love Italy especially Venice and Rome.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: want to take kids to Italy this summer

You did not say how long you were going to be in Italy, but if time allows, seeing one or more of Venice, Florence and/or Rome is a great introduction to the wealth of Italian art and history. But if, in addition, you have enough time to base yourself in one place (preferably with a pool) such as a small village where the kids are safe, then I believe that can be a great introduction to Italian life for children.

We are staying this September at www.anticavetreria.net as a base to see the Umbrian countryside towns of Orvieto, Deruta, Assisi, Perulgia, Todi, etc but also as a place that kids can have the run of the small town center, The owners are originally from Seattle and have a wonderful website that can give you lots of ideas for kids and grownup's activities.

As mothergirl suggested above, having the kids involved in the research helps them get involved in the trip, how to use the international internet and generally helps with anticipation and understanding of the Italian culture, language and place names. Hope this helps, and how lucky your kids are to see this at their age. Mike

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,887 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: want to take kids to Italy this summer

I suggest Rome--it has so much to offer, and personally, I think that while Italian art museums are some of the best in the world, the ages of your children (especially the youngest) would make me hesistant to take them in. (This time)

In Rome your kids would enjoy the Colloseum, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Popolo, the museum about Leonardo di Vinci's inventions--which is hands on, for the most part. Also, the Borghese gardens. Have gelato every day, and your children will love wandering the streets of Rome.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: want to take kids to Italy this summer

It really depends on how much time you have as to suggesting any type of itinerary. As far as accomodations, we stayed in apartments and that worked out great because we had 2br and 2ba plus a kitchen. My son was only 3 at the time, but having a place for snacks and beverages or even breakfast in the morning was nice so we didn't have to get dressed and rush out to get something to eat. Instead we went to the pastry shop and small market for bread,cheeses, salami's for breakfast and enjoyed it in our apartment overlooking a canal in Venice. I suggest you mix activities that you want to do with things they would enjoy so there are some things fun for them. My son was younger, but we would do a sightseeing thing and then break with some pizza to go at the park. We would break up afternoon activities with a gelato break. In Tuscany they had a pool - that would have been nice to enjoy after site seeing but we didn't think it was going to be warm enough for swimming when we were there so we didn't bring bathing suits.

Venice, Rome and Florence are the most travelled and all are worth seeing. I do suggest getting out away from the big cities too if you have time. Tuscany was a lot of fun for us - driving around visiting a new town each day. We also did a cooking class which was fun for all of us. All kids like pasta! You may even spend a few days at the coast and enjoy the beach....it's a good break from all of the fast paced sight seeing.

I suggest you list how much time you have and if there are any cities which you know you want to visit for sure. That will help people recommend things.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: want to take kids to Italy this summer

First and foremost summer.

One of the things that many people who don't have kids or don't travel with kids don't have to deal with is boredom and irritability - especially in extremely hot weather.

None of us - even with kids - know what your kids are like, what interests they have and lets face it if they get bored/irritable you get irritable and ruins your holiday. Trudging around all day in 35C heat stood in queues may not be their thing - unless it is a theme/water park.

I've been taking my kids to Italy every year since they were born (18years now) and always try to alternate days out with downtime (pool/beach etc to recharge) and don't move around too much.

Please note that coastal and lake areas are extremely busy late July/August. Hoteliers reluctant to take less than 1 weeks booking

e.g. you might consider the areas of

Lido di Jesolo (for Venice)

Lake Garda

lido di Ostia (for Rome).

Tuscany countryside (for Siena, Firenze, Montepulciano)

Also as suggested you might consider a property in Tuscany - please be aware that a car may be necessary

check out www.holiday-rentals.co.uk for privately owned villa type accommodation with pools. Check the exact location of some properties in Tuscany as many can be slightly isolated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: want to take kids to Italy this summer

Hi,

My favourite places in Italy during summer.

You must remember Italy is very crowded & busy in summer full of tourists & the locals all going on summer hols. You need to book ahead to avoid disappointment.

1)The Italian Riveria - We often stay at Santa Margherita & use it as a base to explore the villages of Portofino, Camogli, Genoa, San Fruttuoso, Rapallo, & the 5 villages of Cinque Terre. All easy reached by train or ferry from Santa Margherita as day trips. The town is also very interesting with some excellent hotels.

2)Amalfi Coast - Praiano - stay visit - Praiano, Amalfi, Positano, Capri & Sorrento. - stay http://www.ondaverde.it/ and do day trip by to Capri, Emerald Grotto, & Sorrento by ferry from Praiano .

Your kids would enjoy this region.

3) Tuscany - Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Montepulciano, & Montalcino.

Edited: 13 February 2011, 12:12
7. Re: want to take kids to Italy this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 06:28