We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

celebration tour

Leicester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
celebration tour

Hi,

Subject to passing my medical degree (!) Im aiming to celebrate by doing a life long dream of a very nice long tour of italy.

Im hoping to go for around 4 weeks - but this could be lengthened should your help suggest it needs to be!

Im going all over italy, then onto sicilly. I will be going with the hubby and daughter (15)

I have a few questions that id like some help with.

1) Id like to incorporate festivals, like the opera. Which are the ones to see, the ones to miss - this should give me a "timeline" to work with as im not fussed what time of year i go. I qulaify end of september so idealy Oct/Nov but do want the weather/festivals ect but not the crowds.

2) what your "must sees" are, and tips on hows best to do it eg vatican city. we deffinatly want to experience all of italy faces, so beaches, cities, vineyards, mountains, lakes, geberal experinances, shopping, sightseeing, music, theme parks etc etc

3) we will be mixing hotels, b&bs, and campsites, so friendly clean cheap places suggestions please - mix it up with "seriously sexy have to spend a night here and sell an organ to do so" hotels!!!

4) fly drive, or drive, or use the mountain train thing?

5)Any other tips, advice money, or just anything at all that you think might help

Thank you very much in advance!!

Leicester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: celebration tour

Can I just say, anyone can pick up a guidelbook or get "on mass" info. What i really want is your personal insites... the tips that a local told you, shops that were so brilliant but tucked away, the best vineyard on the planet cos it had such a nice host, riding the horses along the coast, crafty days. These sorts of things.

Thanks X

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: celebration tour

Congratulations On completing Your medical degree! (Almost). What a wonderful thing to have month or more. If you can do September or early October I think you will have the chance of more festivals and better weather. Most of the music festivals are in the summer, so you are left in October/November with fewer Saints days and more "standard" music performances in the major cities. Lots of rain in November, particularly in the north and central areas. Unless you are into snow sports, the northern and central mountains may not be too hospitable. You will get warmer weather the further south you go, but it will be chilly. Pick a good weather site, such as www.knowital.com and look up the ambient weather for when you think you would like to be in a location and check it out.

Several "rules" you may want to explore and remember, first, you will not need nor want a car in any major city such as Rome, Florence or Venice. Secondly, plan on staying as long as possible without moving locations by using your base for day trips to nearby towns and cities, you will get better prices and not spend a half a day at least moving locations.

Use trains to move from city to city, for example, you could fly into Venice, stay a week, with a day trip to Verona and/or Lake Garda, then take the train to Florence for a week, with a day trip to Lucca and Pisa, and possibly one to the Chianti area, or rent a car and drive through the Val D'Orcia and stay on the Tuscan/Umbrian border and see the walled hill top cities of both areas such as Siena, Cortona, Assisi. Orvieto, Todi, etc and shop for ceramics in Deruta and the wineries of the Chianti and Torgiano area.

Then you can either drive on down the coast, or take the train from Chiusi to Rome, see Rome for 4 or 5 days, and then down the Amalfi Coast to sorrent, Naples and thence to Sicily and fly home from Catania, Syracuse or Palermo.

Guidebooks, on line or hardbound, as well as a wealth of websites will help you do your research with the help of your built in 15 year old research assistant. have fun, making up your mind what you want to see is the hardest part, enjoying the people, the language and the culture without rushing is the best part. Hope this helps.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: celebration tour

Just saw your second post. May I recommend the website www.anticavetreria.net/ You may not wish to stay here, (we are in September) but Colleen has wonderful suggestions for day trips, insights on how to see Assisi, wineries in Umbria, chocolate tours, etc which you asked for in your second post.

4. Re: celebration tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:18