We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling for First Time to Italy, and with a Baby...

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Topic
Traveling for First Time to Italy, and with a Baby...

First, for a two week trip, would you spend more time in Tuscany or Amalfi Coast. Looking for a relaxed pace with fine dining, wine, and easy to get around.

As far as traveling with the baby, he'll be around 9/10 months. Anything I should know? Can the car seat attach somehow to the trains, or would he sit on our laps? Will the hotels confirm for me if they have air conditioning to keep him comfortable... going in May or June.

Also, are the restaurants pretty kid friendly?

Has anyone traveled from U.S. to Europe, any tips on time change with a baby?

Thanks!

cardiff UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling for First Time to Italy, and with a Baby...

we havent got kids ourselves but I can assure you that Italians love children and will go out of their way to help with them.They must be one of the child friendliest countries in the world. The hotels will tell you if they have air conditioning just mention the baby and you will be fine. Also the restaurants will cater for you as they are used to families eating together, as they do themselves

San Diego...
Level Contributor
369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling for First Time to Italy, and with a Baby...

Hello. I would worry about the babies ears on the plane flight. Make sure he/she has a bottle during takeoff and landing. My son had trouble with that. Maybe consult your physician first for other tips. Also request seats in the back so you can stand up with baby if neccessary.

For the beautiful Tuscany area you really need to rent a car. Sienna is our favorite...don't miss it!!! Wed. morning they have a very "local" flea market that is fun...not touristy...nobody speaks English. Haven't been to Amalfi YET.

Italians love children!!! :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling for First Time to Italy, and with a Baby...

Agree with rotty123 about the Italian's attitude towards children. They just love them. We traveled through Venice, Rome and Florence. Every restaurant we went into our little girl(18 mo.), more so than our 4 yr old son, got so much attention. I lost count of the la Bella remarks she received. Don't worry about the restaurants - they are all kid friendly!!!! If the baby is sleeping when you go out for dinner at night, remove one of the chairs to accomodate the stroller. You should have no problems - we didn't.

As for the train, the baby travels for free as long as s/he is on your lap. If you put a car seat in one of the seats, you have to pay for that seat. Now, however if the seat next or across from you is unoccupied after the train leaves, by all means put the baby there. I don't suggest you travel with a car seat however to Italy. They are too bulky and a pain in the butt to bring with you. We took a taxi minivan to O'hare airport and they did not have any carseats for the children. We just used the regular seat belts for them. I guess it would be best if someone can drop you off at the airport so you can use the carseat.

You can push your stroller all the way to the boarding gate. Right before you get on the plane one of the employees will check the stroller for you. Then as you come off the plane in Italy, they should have your stroller waiting for you.

The hotels should state in their website if they have AC or not. If not, email them.

If you rent a car for Tuscany or the Amalfi Coast you should be able to get a car seat with the car rental. Make sure you ask.

Haven't explored Tuscany or the Amalfi coast. But we did like Florence and would like to explore Tuscany next time - Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano - are the big ones I've heard about.

Have fun. You are travelling at the perfect age of your child - no complaints, all they do is eat and sleep...LOL

A few websites I used to check for hotels that allow you to indicate you will have a child with you-

www.octopustravel.com

www.skoosh.com

www.gtahotels.com

www.hotels.com

Otherwise, in the comments section tell them you have a baby with you and require a crib. Hopefully, they'll have one.

A couple items we purchased for our trip was the Baby B'Air - a vest we used for the plane and train travel to secure our baby to our lap or seat and the STS-1 Lightweight Stroller - a strudy umbrella stroller. It folds up great. We used it for our month long trip in Europe. We also brought a regular umbrella stroller, but by the end of the trip the wheels bent and I had to bend it back manually. You can find those 2 items I mentioned at www.onestepahead.com