We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Italy and toll roads

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Italy and toll roads

I see from Google Maps that there are the big yellow roads usually numbered with an A or E and the smaller S numbered roads.

Are the yellow roads mostly freeways/motorways and do they usually have a toll charge?

Is there a website that will tell me how much the tolls will be on certain roads?

Trying to figure out if it is worth hiring a car for the freedom or if the costs are too much.

Thanks

Pam

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

Use viaMichelin.com to search for routes. You enter the start/finish and show whether you want the fastest, cheapest, scenic route. They will give excellent directions - and the toll costs along that route.

However, their driving time estimates are wildly optimistic - like for Italian drivers on open roads. i usuallly add about 30% to their estimated driving times.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

Yes, the Michelin Route planner will give you all the info you need, you don't say where your planning to go, in some cases the train might be quicker.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

What a fantastic website, thanks guys.

Do you find the costs quoted about right?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

Costs quoted? more or less correct.

I have never checked carefully.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,389 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

I can only give my experience of using Via Michelin while driving in France--the driving times were, as stated, wildly optimistic--we had no traffic and an open highway the entire time, and were still almost an hour late.

The toll and petrol costs are on target, but as oil prices continue to climb and "your mileage may vary" I am not sure I would count on the petrol costs to be on target.

Not sure where in Italy you are driving, but it would worthwhile, especially if you are going from city to city, to check out the train prices/times for the same trip. Also, be aware that many cities restrict driving with heavy fines. (ZTL)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

Roads with a number starting with A are autostrade: motorways, mostly with a toll. The numbers starting with E are part of a UN allocation of route numbers across Europe, and they seldom appear on road signs.

Other roads will be mostly two-lane roads that are well constructed and maintained.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

We are planning on picking up the car in Venice, driving to Lake Como, staying 3 nights there and exploring that area. Then drive down to La Spezia, over 4 days, dropping off the car there before going to Cinque Terre.

We like the freedom of having a car, being able to stop and see things along the way as we come across them.

Has anyone travelled this route by car?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

Several hundreds of thousands of people do it every day. The autostrada from Venice to Milan is one of the busiest in Italy.

I have driven quite a bit in this general area, and the roads are as I described in reply #6.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

Thanks Sydneynick

Is the drive worth it from Venice to Milan, are there interesting villages along the way or should we just train from Venice to Milan and pickup the car there and drive up to Lake Como?

I see that the time taken to drive from Venice to Lake Como is quoted between 4 to 5 hours, much longer than I thought and then everyone says allow more time because the quoted times are not all that acurate.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Pam

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Italy and toll roads

The road from Venice to Milan goes through the Po valley, which is flat and not very interesting country. However, it is very easy to get out of Piazzale Roma in Venice and join the autostrada, whereas nothing would persuade me to drive in the traffic of Milan.

I reckon you should be able to get from Venice to Como in about 4 hours of driving. Padua, Vicenza, Verona and Bergamo are all worth visiting, but bear in mind that a detour off the highway to visit one of these places will add at least an hour to your journey.